Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Going to keep it  (Read 5721 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Going to keep it
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
Hi, early this year I purchased an engraved Pietta 1858 from Mike, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1452.msg13057#msg13057

My intention was to give this revolver to my son-in-law this Christmas, but I can't begin to think of parting with it. The 1858 had the bolt modified so it can use conversion cylinders and a reduced power spring was installed. I already have one of these engraved 1858's that has a serial number only 300 from the revolver bought from Mike. That revolver is in a cherrywood case. I ordered another case to hold Mike's 1858 from here:

https://www.hampelswoodlandproducts.com/

You can see this case here:

The new case will be an exact copy of the case on the top of the bookcase. The pair displayed should look great.

Lest you think I am a bastard for not giving this revolver to my son-in-law, I have a brand new 1860 Colt for my son-in-law this Christmas. In any event, my son-in-law will eventually own all my guns in time.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:14:50 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: Going to keep it
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
You're giving him a brand new 1860 Colt!?!

You bastard... :P

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
Hi Electric, LOL I suspect that Hawg will believe that my son-in-law will get the better revolver, the 1860.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
Hi Electric, LOL I suspect that Hawg will believe that my son-in-law will get the better revolver, the 1860.

Regards,
Richard

No doubt!  (7&
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:42:04 AM »
Hi, I decided to display the engraved Pietta 1858 purchased from Mike early last year, see:

The revolver purchased from Mike is only 300 serial numbers different than the one I purchased from Cabelas. Mike's revolver is on the left, never been fired, but a reduced power spring installed and set up to use conversion cylinders.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
Looks good up there Richard.   That should keep the engraved Remingtons from getting Lonesome.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
Nice looking display, Richard!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:29:20 PM »
Richard,

How do you like Hampel's Cases?

Not quite the same as Bill's Cases, but much more inexpensive. They appear to be well built.

I am not downing either product as I feel that they are not in the same class or genre.

I like Bill's compartmented/fitted cases, but I am looking for one that will fit THREE 1851 Navies laid horizontally (without accessories) upon a desktop or display shelf, much as your large group of pistols are, only on a smaller scale. I think Bill's would charge a fortune for such an arrangement: not that it would not be worth it, but I am on limited funds.

Thanks in advance, sir.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
Hi Jim, I'm happy with the cases and as you point out they are very affordable and very well made of solid premium wood. Sorry that I don't have sufficient knowledge to compare them to anyone else's. What I do know is that I couldn't find and cut the wood for the case price.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
Hi Jim, I'm happy with the cases and as you point out they are very affordable and very well made of solid premium wood. Sorry that I don't have sufficient knowledge to compare them to anyone else's. What I do know is that I couldn't find and cut the wood for the case price.

Regards,
Richard

Thanks so much for your response, sir!

I guess I'll just have to save up my money and go for it.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo