Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Engraved 1851 sale  (Read 14825 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Engraved 1851 sale
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:46:08 AM »
Hi, Cabelas has the Pietta engraved 1851 and extra cylinder on sale for $250, see:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/PIETTA-CAL-W-EXTRA-CYLINDER-REVOLVER/1776984.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_page%3D20%26CQ_search%3Dpietta%26CQ_st%3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

This is such a big discount that I wouldn't expect the sale to last long.

I ordered one.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:02:41 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Engraved 1851 sale
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:35:34 AM »
Hi, note that this is a .44 caliber revolver. Looking closely at the Cabelas photo it appears that the backstrap and trigger guard are steel. Looking forward to getting it, it should make for a fine display piece.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:12:14 AM »
I was really interested until I saw the .44 caliber part. One of the things I love about the Navy is the original .36 cal bore....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
I always thought that Navy is .36cal and Army was .44cal    ???

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:51:15 AM »
Hi Kirk, I agree, the .44 caliber is disappointing. If I ever do intend on firing this revolver I can put the .36 1851 barrel with higher sight installed on the frame. These newer Pietta's parts seem to swap with no issue.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
I always thought that Navy is .36cal and Army was .44cal    ???
It is. Unless you are Pietta. Then all bets are off..

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
Hi, my new Pietta engraved .44 is due to arrive tomorrow. I know many turn up their noses when considering the 1851 in .44 caliber. There however is one advantage with the .44 1851, 1860 .45 Colt conversion cylinders can be used with that revolver. I suspect that back in the day, with better metallurgy Colt would have manufactured their 1851 in .44 caliber.

We can lament about buying Italian reproduction not original, but nothing is original with replicas. The replicas have modern steel and we use BP subs not original in the day.

An 1851 shooting .45 Colt is a perfect revolver that still has linage to the past. It doesn't get any better.

Here is an 1851 that get it done:

LeathersmithMikes holster also gives it great utility. I have a number of modern handguns, but would never feel underguned with this rig.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:47 AM »
Hi, I'm a bit disappointed that I won't get my new Pietta engraved 1851 today. Seems that the lake effect snow off Lake Erie slowed delivery. The revolver is close in Buffalo NY and I should see it on Monday.

It never seems to fail, when you expect a new revolver, something gets in the way. The shipment is either delayed or I end up on the end of the UPS delivery route.

A new muff and labeled tag have already been prepared for this new revolver. The Wolff reduced power spring was ordered for the new 1851.

A bummed out,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
Suck it up, man! Go drown your sorrows in RemOil and slather it over the ones you've got! ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »
Hi, my new Pietta engraved 1851 finally made it though the snow and it's now in my hands. What a beauty, fit and finish excellent. It is well worth the $250 paid. The reduced power spring is due to arrive today and will be installed when taking down the revolver for inspection. If all goes well, I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Happy camper,
Richard
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:33:48 AM by ssb73q »

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »
If all goes well, I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Happy camper,
Richard

You know that you will be virtually spanked if you don't!  ;)

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
Hi, I took apart the new Pietta engraved .44 1851 for inspection and cleaning. The interior of the revolver was spotless, not a hint of debris. The new Wolff reduced power spring was installed and the hand was shortened slightly so the revolver would work with the Howell 1860 .45 Colt conversion cylinder. The revolver was assembled and checked using both the C&B and conversion cylinder, perfect. There is one aspect of this engraved revolver that may put some people off. The frame color is more like a muddy rust than a red and blue color typical of recent Pietta's. The frame appeared shiny with the Pietta preservation oil on it, but with Ballistol, the frame looks a bit dull. I kind of like it, it's not prissy, but handsome in its dullness. IMO this revolver will serve well as a shooter. The promised photos:

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 10:14:41 AM »
Hi, I ordered two dovetail steel front sights for this .44 1851 to have poi=poa when shooting ..45 Cot with conversion cylinders.  See:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/1/FS-CA-1I

I need to get a holster for these 1851s for use with higher sights. Hope Mike isn't too busy to help me out.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 11:39:51 AM »
Richard, that actually looks pretty nice! Hell, I'd shoot it!