Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Pietta Grip Frame?  (Read 5665 times)

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
New Pietta Grip Frame?
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
O.K., Before I beat a dead horse I did go back 2 years and researched for any information on Piettas new grip frame geometry for the '51 Navy. I may have missed it somewhere so please don't beat me up too bad. I have been modifying my Pietta frames on every one I buy. And to tell you the truth, it is a bit taxing on me. Photos of the newer grip frame would be great. How do you know whether or not you are getting "old stock" when you purchase? (??...Thanks

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Pietta Grip Frame?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »
New and old. The entire grip frame has to be used. You can't use a new back strap with an old front strap. I have seen them on ebay.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:25:02 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Hi dc7, if you are buying from Cabelas, look at the photo of the revolver enlarged. My newly ordered 1851 shows a stock without the previous Pietta tail:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/PIETTA-CAL-W-EXTRA-CYLINDER-REVOLVER/1776984.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_page%3D20%26CQ_search%3Dpietta%26CQ_st%3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »
Thanks Guys! Awesome! That seals the deal! &\?

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »
New and old. The entire grip frame has to be used. You can't use a new back strap with an old front strap. I have seen them on ebay.

Hawg is entirely correct.

I have a Pietta 1851 Navy Second Model SB TG (date code [CM] 2014 "tail", similar to Hawg's) and a Pietta Griswold & Gunnison (date code [CN] 2015, similar to Hawg's). I have placed them butt-to-butt as a slightly different perspective to his photos and the dimensions are very different insofar as the 3-piece grip execution (backstrap/TG/ wood) is concerned, as Hawg pointed out. Bottom of post.

I also have a Pietta 1851 Navy Third/Fourth Model (date code [CP] 2016, not pictured) which has the same grip profile as the G&G, unlike the Second Model.

If you procure them on Ebay (or similar sites), just be sure the 3 pieces match. Don't think that the "tail" wood can be just sanded down because the newer style backstrap will protrude by very much, thus the thicker wrist. It will save much heartache when you have them in hand. Been there, done that, and have a few parts in the spares bin as part the learning process.

Here is a pic of a newer backstrap on an older TG. No joy! (Pardon the faux chrome screw: just for display positioning purposes!). I guess some enterprising individual could sand down the front strap of that TG, but would also need to fit wood to it. And, if that is the only TG one has on hand, it will only conform after the sanding to a newer backstrap, and one might just save it for posterity or bartering material and get a TG that fits the backstrap. Lots of work.

My perspective, FWIW:

I find the highly disdained "tail" grip profile with the thinner wrist to be a more pleasant feel to my hand, whereas the newer rendition has a much thicker wrist.

I have seen YouTube videos (like Mike Belliveau's) about modifying the original Pietta "tail" and though it is much work, as the OP stated, the finished product has a thinner wrist than the newer Pietta grip profile, which I find preferable to the newer profile. IMO, there is no way to thin the wrist on the newer style.

If you are looking for a singularly "correct" original Colt 1851 Navy grip shape, there are none, and I would refer you to Nathan L. Swayze's 1967 treatise " '51 Colt Navies" for many references/photos to see that this is so.

How do you know whether or not you are getting "old stock" when you purchase?

If you are speaking of complete Pietta 1851 Navy pistols, look for the date code. Any pistol date coded [CN] 2015, [CP] 2016 or later should be good to go. Insofar as parts on auction sites, buyer beware as most folks on EBay part out pistols bought from Cabela's and have not much clue as to what original repro date it came from.

Take care and watch your money/purchases.

To each their own. Good luck to you with the newer profile!

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:49 PM »
Thanx for the great info Guys. Ive been doing the duelist1954 modification on all my Piettas for a couple of years. And then finishing the grips as good if not better than Uberti. Just a PITA every time!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »
personally i find the older Pietta grip frames to be more to my liking [after carving them down] for comfort. now having said this allow me to explain;

i have a couple Colt SAA's {real Colt SAA's] that i have installed 1860 {italian} grip frames on witch leaves me with the original Colt grip frames ... one of which i installed on a very short [cut down] Uberti 1860 colt. shooting it i find i over shoot everything [with the original SAA grip frame] compared to the Uberti "60" grip frame. i also shaved down my Pietta 1861 grip frame so the "tail" is taken off. now then after all this wind;

i find the carved down Pietta to not only feel better in my paw but it points my "61" and "51" barrels on that 1861 revolver frame just where i want them to point instead of having to arch my wrist forward to bring the sights to bear.

the "60" frames on my two Colts point just rite as well and one grip frame is a Uberti and the other is a Pietta grip frame. both allow me to point my Colts SAA's to just the rite point of a natural aim without having to tilt my wrist forward to bring the sights to bear properly.

long story long ... i also prefer the old style slim wristed frames with the ungainly "tail" carved off to the original Colt frames. YMMV
BIGTED