Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Example of 2nd gen script?  (Read 9289 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Example of 2nd gen script?
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
Does anyone have an photo example of the barrel markings ("Sam_L Colt New York") that was present on the ASM Second Gen Colts? I'm looking at one that I suspect is not authentic so detailed photos would be very helpful. Thanks!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Example of 2nd gen script?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »
I think there's three different fonts on second gens. Why would anybody fake a second gen or ASM? Ask Fingers, if anybody should know its him.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
I think there's three different fonts on second gens. Why would anybody fake a second gen or ASM? Ask Fingers, if anybody should know its him.
Script looks larger than all the examples I've seen...maybe it's just me? Almost appears as if somebody added the Colt address to a garden variety ASM

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
Script looks larger than all the examples I've seen...maybe it's just me? Almost appears as if somebody added the Colt address to a garden variety ASM

I guess it's possible.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
Kirk, is this what you are looking for?

Sorry for the fuzzy photo; I can try for a better one if you want. Is the gun in question your new Dragoon?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:51:17 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »
Mazo, thanks for the photo.
No, I believe the script was larger, all block letters in caps. It was not one of mine; it was up for auction and it's now over. I was trying to determine if it was one of Lou Imperato's controversial second gens or merely an ASM that someone doctored up to impersonate one. Based on you photo I'm guessing the latter. ASM did not stamp the topside of the barrels on early Dragoon models; I suspect this sets up a scenario ripe for imposters to work their craft. While the gun is sold, I will see if it's still on my watch list. Maybe I can save the photo as a download and post here?

EDIT: Yes, was still on my watch list. Here is a photo of the script. Does it look authentic to you?

I notice it is BACKWARDS from yours...script beginning at the cylinder and ending towards the muzzle?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:56:18 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »
Mazo, thanks for the photo.
No, I believe the script was larger, all block letters in caps. It was not one of mine; it was up for auction and it's now over. I was trying to determine if it was one of Lou Imperato's controversial second gens or merely an ASM that someone doctored up to impersonate one. Based on you photo I'm guessing the latter. ASM did not stamp the topside of the barrels on early Dragoon models; I suspect this sets up a scenario ripe for imposters to work their craft.

Why would anybody fake a Colt address on an ASM? It wouldn't be worth the effort.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 05:21:05 PM »
It would raise the value of a garden variety ASM by over a hundred bucks at least. Pretty easy money if you are set up with the stamps.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 05:35:23 PM »
Kirk, I guess I am a bit confused. The photo I posted is for a 2nd Generation Colt Dragoon. Is that what you were looking for info on?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 05:57:35 PM »
Kirk, I guess I am a bit confused. The photo I posted is for a 2nd Generation Colt Dragoon. Is that what you were looking for info on?

Yes. I believe some of the 2nd Gens were manufactured by ASM and imported by Lou Imperato, and finish assembled at the Hartford factory by Colt where they were stamped and lettered.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »

Yes. I believe some of the 2nd Gens were manufactured by ASM and imported by Lou Imperato, and finish assembled at the Hartford factory by Colt where they were stamped and lettered.

Uberti subcontracted ASM to make barrels for the 2nd gens. When Colt stopped production ASM got stuck with a bunch of Colt marked barrels and used them on their own guns and Colt sued them for it and won. ASM did not supply complete guns.  This is info I got straight from the mouth of Dr Jim Davis.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:14:37 PM by Hawg »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »

Uberti subcontracted ASM to make barrels for the 2nd gens. When Colt stopped production ASM got stuck with a bunch of Colt marked barrels and used them on their own guns and Colt sued them for it and won. ASM did not supply complete guns.  This is info I got straight from the mouth of Dr Jim Davis.

That was somewhat the story I recalled. Would you say this may have been one of those ASM's by the script? I find it interesting that the text is reversed...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:24:41 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »

I have no idea. Fingers would be the one to ask on that.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »

I have no idea. Fingers would be the one to ask on that.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I've eve r seen more than one ASM with a Colt marked barrel. It was an 1860 whose date code I don't remember.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »
Too bad...would have loved to bid on that one as I don't think anyone else realized what it might/could be.   
It ended up selling for only $250.00
I think it could have been worth a hundred or more additional, possibly more if it was one of the Imperato guns.