Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Example of 2nd gen script?  (Read 9296 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Example of 2nd gen script?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 08:45:11 AM »
Too bad...would have loved to bid on that one as I don't think anyone else realized what it might/could be.   
It ended up selling for only $250.00
I think it could have been worth a hundred or more additional, possibly more if it was one of the Imperato guns.

Where do you get this info that ASM delivered whole guns? First I've ever heard of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »

EDIT: Yes, was still on my watch list. Here is a photo of the script. Does it look authentic to you?

I notice it is BACKWARDS from yours...script beginning at the cylinder and ending towards the muzzle?

My ASM Walker has the exact same barrel address as the Dragoon pictured earlier.   There is no indication this Walker is anything other than an ASM shipped before Colt made them stop selling revolvers with the barrel address on them.   I've seen several others besides the one I have.  All of them have the barrel address backwards from the Colt 2nd gens and Signature series.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 05:35:23 PM »
If that were the case, wouldn't that make it a "Signature Series" gun? Was the backstrap inscribed? I know they are bringing pretty good money, but not like the Colt inspected 2nd Generation guns that Colt letters.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
Backstrap was not inscribed.
Not sure where I heard that, Hawg.I could have been mistaken, or the source might have been wrong to begin with.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
If that were the case, wouldn't that make it a "Signature Series" gun? Was the backstrap inscribed? I know they are bringing pretty good money, but not like the Colt inspected 2nd Generation guns that Colt letters.

Colt didn't just inspect the 2nd gens. They bought rough castings from Uberti and did all the finish work themselves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 09:02:56 PM »
Captain, I saw the auction you're talking about, almost bid on it myself. It was an ASM Walker with Colt marked barrel and cylinder and A-Company military markings. This is the second one I have seen, unless this is the same one coming around again. I believe this is nothing but an ASM Walker and stamped by ASM, the fact that it has military markings probably make it some sort of special edition. I have a Colt marked ASM Walker just like it but it doesn't have military markings, just a regular ASM serial number and it also says Richland Arms on the side of the barrel. The barrel address is not backwards since the original Walker's and 1st Model Dragoon's read breech to muzzle; 2nd and 3rd Model Dragoon's read muzzle to breech. 2nd Gens and Sig Series are the same way.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:42 PM »
 I checked my records and the Colt marked ASM Walker with military markings that I saw before was A COMPANY No 19. I don't know what year it was made. The one that this thread is about is A COMPANY No 46 (http://www.gunauction.com/buy/14322428) with a datecode of AH, made in 1981. So there must have been a number of these made and they are definately an ASM product, not just a one off defarbed by somebody. Aslo of interest to note A COMPANY No 19 has shorter, more rounded cylinder notches, whereas A COMPANY No 46 has longer, more oval cylinder notches.

There are at least two other types of Walker's with military markings. One is the Colt 2nd Generation "Heritage Edition" that was sold in a case with a book. I believe these were made around the same time(early 1980's) as these ASM Walker's. The other is the Colt Signature Series, I don't know much about them and I have only seen one or two. I would guess those would have to have been made in the 1990's or early 2000's.