Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: spare cylinder ?  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Re: spare cylinder ?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »
This is an interesting thread, had to read again.
I just bought a Pietta 1860 44 , in order to use a spare cylinder, that just happens to be Colt 45 conversion.
Spare rounds then ....."".not a problem !! Sorta buy a gun to fit a spare rather than the other way around. ($!
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
I've bought guns to fit ammo before. L@J
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »
I'm in good company. What next  :buy a pistol to fit a spare holster ?
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 12:32:44 PM »
Works for me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 03:59:43 PM »
Back in the day of the Patersons, there was no loading lever. It took a little more effort to reload the cylinder. I notice looking at pictures of original cased sets of these guns, a spare cylinder was included.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »
Indeed, one of the few cased sets where a spare cylinder was included. Opens up a historical train of thought considering the use of them.

Five was not enough.  Texas Ranger fights could go on for hours with everyone being on horses in mêlées and chasing and being chased. 

Standard example from the net.  I only find extra cylinders for those without the loading lever.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »
Indeed, one of the few cased sets where a spare cylinder was included. Opens up a historical train of thought considering the use of them.

Yeah like G Dog said they only came in sets without loading levers. Back in the day cylinders had to be machined to each individual gun to insure proper function. I imagine the sets with extra cylinders were priced accordingly or given the time period maybe it was the ones with loading levers that were priced accordingly. (7+"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »

Yeah like G Dog said they only came in sets without loading levers. Back in the day cylinders had to be machined to each individual gun to insure proper function. I imagine the sets with extra cylinders were priced accordingly or given the time period maybe it was the ones with loading levers that were priced accordingly. (7+"

I find the same thing to be the case.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!