Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 58918 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
Hi, the new Paterson leather holster from LeathersmithMike arrived yesterday. It's a beauty and the workmanship is suburb, see:

Due to high winds, we lost electric utility power for three days, had to use the generator. The internet was out so I looked for a gun project to keep me busy. To that end I JB Weld the free floating brass arbor spacing button to the arbor end and filed the brass button for a 0.006" gap. The larger gap will minimize the Paterson BP and lead splash fouling.

Regards,
Richard

Nice leather. Nice sidearm.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
Hi Electric, thanks. One can never go wrong owning a holster from Leathersmith Mike. While there are some cheap holsters available that will work with BP revolvers there is something special having a quality holster to hold and protect the revolver being used. While I value my BP revolvers, I value my Leathersmit Mike's holsters even more.  L@. L@. L@.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
Hi, in an effort to be prepared, I have tried to order Pietta Paterson spare parts. IMO the Pietta Paterson may be on life-support since mainsprings and cylinder aren't in stock at VTI. These parts are also not in stock at Taylor's, but I think that Taylor has more clout than VTI with Pietta. While probably all backordered at Taylor, I ordered a replacement cylinder, hand, and all springs for the Pietta Paterson. It may take awhile for me to see those part, but probably worthwhile in the future.

Be Prepared.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I just heard from Taylors that they have my Pietta Paterson parts and they have been shipped. The old boy scout motto is Be Prepared. Uberti Paterson parts are almost impossible to get. IMO it won't be long before the Pietta part join that class. I suggest that you order Paterson parts while they are available. Springs and hands are worth investing in if you intend on having a working Pietta Paterson in the future.

I also have an extra cylinder for the Pietta Paterson coming. That damn bolt chews up the entrance and exit cylinder bolt holes where a pristine cylinder when displayed makes some sense for an anal retentive like me.

The trigger pull on my Pietta Paterson is over 8lbs. I intend to do a trigger and reduced mainspring force job in an effort to have a usable and accurate Paterson.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
I know that the replica Paterson revolvers go for a bit more than say, an 1851, but this one on Gunbroker is ridiculous:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/636099248
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
It's only $10,000. I'm guessing the seller meant $1,000. Still too high.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »
It's only $10,000. I'm guessing the seller meant $1,000. Still too high.

My guess too. I'm just amazed that he hasn't corrected it yet.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 05:08:14 AM »
Hi, notice that the $10,000 Paterson is a smoothbore. Maybe this guy thinks someone will pay for a one of a kind Paterson revolver?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
Hi, I totally removed all the Pietta Paterson parts today and again stoned the moving parts. After assembly the Paterson is worst than before, a bummer. The cylinder now over rotates if cocked fast. For some reason the bolt is somewhat too short and only engages the cylinder lockup hole to the rear of the cylinder registration holes. Reviews of the Pietta Paterson also report the same issue. Based on what Mike and scooby report, I suggest that you get a used Uberti Paterson if you want a reliable shooter.

I am looking forward to what Fingers reports on having Goon's do an action job on his Pietta Paterson.

Tuning my Pietta Paterson is a bridge too far for me.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »
Richard, I suggest you contact the Goon (Mike Brackett) and let him have a shot at it. The action on both guns he worked for me has to be experienced to be believed.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »
Hi, I ordered a few more parts for the Pietta Paterson. I talked to Ryan at Taylor Firearms about the lack of replacement parts for the Paterson's. Getting Pietta Paterson parts has been difficult, Uberti almost impossible.

IMO if you ever think you would like to own a replica Paterson, act quickly or forever hold your peace.

Notice on how original Patersons now go for over $250k. It wouldn't surprise me if we soon see used replicas for over $2k.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »
Hi, in the past I have pissed and moaned about the very heavy hammer and trigger pull of my Pietta Paterson. Forget any good accuracy with a trigger pull as heavy as a New York State Trooper's Glock. With the arrival of a replacement Paterson hammer mainspring, I reduced the width of that spring to reduce the mainspring force. Initially a bench grinder was used, but I soon found that I could do a better job with a hand held dremel tool with a sanding ring. This is a comparison between the original spring and the modified spring: 

The original spring is on the left.

Hammer pull is now very nice and the trigger pull went from over 8lbs with the original spring to ~5lb with the modified spring. The functioning of the revolver is now a lot smoother.

It will now be necessary to shoot the revolver to see if hammer blow back will occur. I have seen reports where Paterson hammer blow back will begin to rotate the cylinder, not a good thing. If hammer blow back does occur with the reduced force spring, I may try length sizing the SliXShot nipples and using them to minimize hammer blow back.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
Hi, getting parts for the Pietta Paterson has been a struggle. I heard back from Taylors that my ordered Paterson cylinder is now back in stock and being sent to me.

Since the Paterson cylinder is more easily loaded off the revolver, extra Paterson cylinders are useful.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »
Hi, I'm about ready to get back into my Pietta Paterson. The barrel is difficult to remove, the trigger pull is still too strong. The internet is full of information on most everything other on taming a Pietta Paterson. With 17 more parts than an 1851, it is a engineering nightmare. Has anyone here been able to satisfactory tame their Paterson? Inquiring minds need to know.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »
Richard:  I have a Uberti Paterson.  I took it apart as far as removing the water table and stopped there.  Took me forever to get it back together correctly.  Good luck!

RC

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:13 PM »
My Paterson is an Uberti also.   I have had it apart and reassembled several times with no problems.   Mine works smoothly and is easily loaded with the loading tool so I can't give you much advice.