Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Range Time  (Read 6824 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Range Time
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
Just curious, how often do you guys shoot, or get to shoot? 

Scooby seems to be able to shoot on his property as often as he wishes and perhaps others are fortunate that way also?  Me, I have to drive an hour to an outdoor facility, and then stand there shoulder to shoulder with everybody else, so not only does it impact my range time but takes away all the solitude/therapy of doing it solo.  Kind of cheapens the experience a little, IMO.  I try to go during off times when there are fewer folks around, definitely helps.   

Wish I could just walk out the door and blaze away, but no such luck where I am now.   

Whip

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Range Time
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
I'm in a similar situation, Whip... ^j)
45 minute drive, and 30 bucks whether you are shooting for 5 minutes or 5 hours. So, I try to make it worthwhile and shoot all afternoon and shoot as many BP gunsas I can. And I pay the price in the evening with guns to clean... (jh
That's why I have guns I've never shot yet. :'(
I agree, it would be sweet to step off the back porch after dinner and torch off a few rounds, but...not in the cards.
So, to answer your OQ...I'm lucky if I get to the BP range more than 3 times over the summer.
That being said, it's a very relaxed, laid-back and fun range to shoot at, laid way back in the piney woods and totally separate from the main "black gun" range. (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
In the midst of a anti gun state government, I guess I'm some what fortunate to belong to
a private club range, about 45 min from my home. During the week it is very lightly attended
however weekends are reserved for organized shooting disciplines , for those that got to work the
rest of the week.
Some perks for being retired.I got the key (7&
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline washbuster

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
My shootin spot is bout 5 miles from me.On private land.Up to 500 yrds.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 04:50:47 AM »
I drive 85 miles to shoot.  That means I need a full day to load up drive,  shoot a couple hours and drive home.    The range is a perfect though.   I'm the only one who uses it.   50 yard pistol/small rifle range  and 1000 yard rifle range,  both have covered shooter areas with benches.   
In answer to the original question,   I shoot about 4 or 5 times a year.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:16:59 AM »
Hi Whip, I have a steel range on my property and can shoot right from my deck if desired, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=717.msg5470#msg5470

That works well in good weather. When there is feet of snow, shooting at the range is an issue.

Therefore, to keep shooting all year, I have a .22 range in the basement and some brass framed BP revolvers set up with .22 conversion cylinders, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1233.msg17382#msg17382
and:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1368.msg11966#msg11966

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »
I remember those pics of your place now Richard, you've got a great setup, the basement range is an especially neat touch. 

I did sign up last January (2016) for a private range club about the same distance from my home as the public range, it's about a 2 year waiting list to get in so I'm hopeful that this time next January I'll get a call.  I've been there a time or two as a guest and it is a relaxing place to shoot.  As it is now, I go to the public range late in the day if I want to get in a little time, in the summer, the South Florida heat and threat of afternoon t-storms thins out the crowd a little, so I pick a day when storms are inevitable and go then.

Currently, I try to go about once a month.  If I could do it in solitude though, I'd trade for less frequency.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 08:30:58 PM »
15 minute drive and $10 all day to shoot... now that i'm reloading .45colt, i'll be shooting a lot more often now
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »
About 2 or 3 times a month. There is a very nice range about 15 minutes away. There are different sections open at certain times, trap/skeet, rifle/pistol with steel and paper targets out to 750 yards, action pistol, muzzleloader, cowboy action and long range. It gets crowded on weekends but weekdays are usually calm. Rifle/pistol is $50 a year plus $5 a day for members or $10 a day for nonmembers and then other fees for those sections which are only open for certain events.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »
I have mentioned before, we go to a public range 2-3 times a year. It's about 40 miles from me, so not too bad. They have covered firing lines and shooting benches. It is not free, but there is a donation box, no set fee. Before it was improved with the benches, etc., I used to come home with twice as much brass as I shot.
I shoot C&B revolvers, conversions and some modern stuff. Now, with the concrete floor, there isn't as much brass laying around....mostly 22s and steel cased mil-surp. Richard has an ideal set-up, as does Scooby. My property is pretty hilly, but not bad as far as handguns go. I can get about 80 yards for rifles though.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:54 AM »
I shoot 5 or 6 days a week.  I have three ranges at my house.  100 yard rifle and pistol, 200 yard rifle, and my foul weather range that is 75 yards off the covered deck.  All you have to do is live in the country, which has it's own advantages and many disadvantages, spent lots of time and labor developing your range, and work your butt off until you are too old to have fun anymore, and presto, you too can do what I do.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
My range is 15 minutes from the house...just got back from there! 62 degrees , not a cloud in the sky... a great way to start the weekend!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
Hi Suntiger, I'm envious of your range's temperature. There is currently 2ft deep snow at my range and the temperature is 20F.

I love handling my BP revolvers, but there is nothing better than shooting them.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 04:05:56 AM »
Richard
I won't tell you the azaleas are already blooming and it's starting to look like Full springtime already in Tallahassee...
it was a good morning though ... I like shooting early when the smoke kinds of hangs in the air more,  got my first Navy about this time last year, and finding this board and the folks on it has certainly enhanced my enjoyment of this hobby!
Hope your spring comes early!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
Just joined a range that's about half way between work and home.  Hoping to average a couple times a week visiting there!

&\?
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!