Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Howell Uberti .45 Colt COAL  (Read 7715 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Howell Uberti .45 Colt COAL
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
Hi Mike this tool has worked very well for me doing a few dovetails on 1851s:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1580.msg15021#msg15021

The only issue for using that dovetail tool on the round barrel of the 1860 is that there will always be the keyway slot ends of the original sight keyway showing. Also getting the dovetail perpendicular to the vertical barrel axis would be problematic. IMO to do a round barrel dovetail correctly would require a milling machine and a dovetail cutter.

I could try soft soldering the front sight back, but certain I will screw up the bluing next to the sight. I will give the black 380 stuff a try.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »
Looks good! In fact the whole gun looks good!
I still regret selling my 3-screw Pietta.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 04:24:04 AM »
Hi scooby, what makes doing the perfect sight replacement is that the edges of the keyway were staked. That narrows the top of the keyway slot. On some of my front sight 1860s I would file away the coined staked edges of the keyway. If I had the ability to stake the front sight in, I would do so. The Pietta 1860 has a deeper keyway than the Uberti. The sight that failed to hold was pushed in with an arbor press with JB Weld in the keyway. Since the sight isn't staked in, the only force holding the sight in is the compression of the slightly larger width brass insert compared to the keyway and JB Weld adhesion.

An internet search shows that JB Weld isn't a reliable adhesive for sights. Hopefully the Loctite 380 will work better.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!