Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What would you like?  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: What would you like?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »
Bishop, yes that's close to what I'm talking about. The only thing I don't like about those is that they are special order so you can't really examine one before you commit. A better example would be the later American made USFA Pre-War and Inspector Series Single Action Army replicas. They are truly works of art. I have heard them compared to Freedom Arms in quality. If there was a cap n' ball like that it would be amazing.

I remember reading on a CAS website a few years ago that USFA actually did make a few 1851 Colt Navy models and were in the planning stages to make a high quality 1858 Remington model to be marketed by Remington before they went under.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 06:49:31 AM »
Bishop, yes USFA made several Colt cap n' balls including 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, 1860 Army and the Walker. Maybe more. However they were all built from Uberti or Armi San Marco parts. USFA has a complex history wherein they started off with basically 100% Italian guns finished in the USA, moving to mixed USA x Italian parts guns and finally 100% made in USA guns. The 100% USA guns are extremely well made. They did have plans to make Remington cartridge guns, I believe it was the 1875 model, possibly the cap n' ball Remington as well. By that time the company was failing and they never completed the project. Very unfortunate, a USFA Remington cap n' ball would have been awesome.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
USFA made some 1911's too. They failed because the dude that owned it put too much effort(and money) into making a cheap zip gun that he designed that didn't work half the time.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tpelle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
It's not so much what the make, but what they SHOULDN'T make.  All of these "fantasy" guns, like that Pietta 1851 Navy Pepperbox, or those .44 navies, or pretty much anything that they decide to make with a brass frame and call it a "Reb" version.

Maybe I'm too much into the historical correctness aspect of the things, but I keep thinking of some poor schmuck buying a "brass-frame 1851 Navy .44 Pepperbox" and thinking he's buying a replica of some rare historical firearm, then, when he finds out what he has, feeling swindled, and writing the sport off forever.

(Maybe it scares me a little, too, that there are actually enough people out there that would actually buy such an abomination to make it worthwhile to manufacture it!)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
I'd like to see them remake the Whitney and a .36 cal Dance.  Would also like to see a Shawk & McClannahan; both first and second model Cofer, and Columbus Firearms.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »
My wish list includes a .36 cal. Dance, a historically accurate Tucker and Sherrard, a Leech and Rigdon with a non engraved cylinder, a Rigdon and Ansley, a Cofer and and a Kerr.

RC

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
I agree, a Tucker & Sherrard with spur hammer would be cool. I think my favorite would be a correct Colt 3rd Model Dragoon Military version, cut for shoulder stock, with folding 3-leaf rear sight, horizontal loading lever latch with both brass and steel shoulder stocks available. Also a long barreled carbine version would be cool and historically correct. Uberti does make a sort of Military version, cut for shoulder stock but it doesn't have the 3-leaf rear sight nor the horizontal latch and they don't make a shoulder stock for it at all.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
Here's some more stuff you might want a repro of, how about a brass framed Colt Root revolver or an octagon barreled Colt Dragoon with cartridge conversion?