Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: what am i looking at here  (Read 5440 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
what am i looking at here
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
i thought there was no such thing as a 51 in 44...

http://classic.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=14413650
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: what am i looking at here
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:46:10 AM »

There wasn't. That's not a .44. You can tell a .36 from a .44 because a .44 has a rebated cylinder and water table. Somebody also destroyed about 700 bucks worth of value by chrome plating it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 04:45:48 AM »
Can't believe someone did that to an original.  Is a chrome plating finish thin enough to not fill in the serial numbers?

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
Yep it's a .36 cal.   Picture isn't good but you can see the cylinder isn't rebated.   .44 is a typo or the author I misinformed.     Too bad it's chromed.   Reblued is bad enough but plated is worse.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:21:36 PM by mike116 »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 06:51:06 AM »
Hi, doubt if it is chromed, probably nickel. The grip looks too good to be old.

I wouldn't go near that revolver with a ten foot pole.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
Appears to be nickel, not chrome. And definitely a .36. I agree with Hawg...devalued out the window.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »
I guess it could be nickel but some of the close ups look too shiny.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »

There wasn't. That's not a .44. You can tell a .36 from a .44 because a .44 has a rebated cylinder and water table. Somebody also destroyed about 700 bucks worth of value by chrome plating it.

dammit, i never think to look at the cylinders... ugh, one of these days i'll really start paying attention to the colts...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
look at the brass, is it me or does it look like there is clearcoat pealing off??? i bet the screws are all metric...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
look at the brass, is it me or does it look like there is clearcoat pealing off??? i bet the screws are all metric...

It could be clear coat but it's an original gun. Somebody took a POS beater, wire brushed the rust off of it and had it plated. Later on somebody replaced the wedge and nipples. It looks like the damage to the hammer nose was done after it was plated.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »

The auction link specifically states it is a .36. I agree with Hawg  about the value of the pistol. As the last current bid is $315, it has little collector interest. Might be a very nice wallhanger.

I know this is an "original" Colt 1851 Navy that has been "purtied up", most likely in the 60's to make it more "presentable" (my father was one of those guys who loved the buffing wheel and refinishing original wood: sigh!), but I would like to weigh in on replica 1851 Navy type pistols insofar as the .44 rebated cylinder on an 1851 Navy brass frame, which is absolutely historically incorrect.

Please do not run with the idea that all replica 1851 Navy type frames with a rebated cylinder/stepped water table are the only way a replica 1851 Navy type can be a .44 Pistol.

Pietta has created a J.H. Dance and Brothers .44 on an 1851 Navy steel type frame (nothing more than an 1851 Navy frame with the recoil shield milled off). It has a straight cylinder (no rebate) and no stepped water table cut. However, their .44 cylinder is much larger in diameter than their standard .36 cylinder, which says that the factory milled down the water table to allow the cylinder to fit, and also modified the cylinder stop bolt.

There is a guy hereabouts (rcampbell) who knows a lot about that.

Sorry, I am OT.

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

The auction link specifically states it is a .36. I agree with Hawg  about the value of the pistol. As the last current bid is $315, it has little collector interest. Might be a very nice wallhanger.

I know this is an "original" Colt 1851 Navy that has been "purtied up", most likely in the 60's to make it more "presentable" (my father was one of those guys who loved the buffing wheel and refinishing original wood: sigh!), but I would like to weigh in on replica 1851 Navy type pistols insofar as the .44 rebated cylinder on an 1851 Navy brass frame, which is absolutely historically incorrect.

Please do not run with the idea that all replica 1851 Navy type frames with a rebated cylinder/stepped water table are the only way a replica 1851 Navy type can be a .44 Pistol.

Pietta has created a J.H. Dance and Brothers .44 on an 1851 Navy steel type frame (nothing more than an 1851 Navy frame with the recoil shield milled off). It has a straight cylinder (no rebate) and no stepped water table cut. However, their .44 cylinder is much larger in diameter than their standard .36 cylinder, which says that the factory milled down the water table to allow the cylinder to fit, and also modified the cylinder stop bolt.

There is a guy hereabouts (rcampbell) who knows a lot about that.

Sorry, I am OT.

Regards,

Jim

the ad originally listed it as an 1851 in .44 made in 1860, he changed it somewhere along the line...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:58:12 PM by suzukibruce »
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:05:51 PM »
Somebody ruined that revolver and turned it into a pimp's paperweight. J*j ^j) K*_