Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 62 police question  (Read 10460 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: 62 police question
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 04:22:18 AM »
The Pocket Police (round barrel and improved lever) and Pocket Navy (octagonal barrel and old style lever) are the only 36 caliber revolvers with any recoil.  Both are a hoot to shoot but I am partial to the Pocket Police.  Originally built on the 31 caliber frame and copied as such by Uberti, they are only five shots but much more easily carried.  Pietta chose to cheap out and not retool and what they call an 1862 is merely a short barreled version of Colt's Improved Navy revolver.  Not a bad revolver but not a Pocket Navy.

None of mine have cap sucking issues but I install a post on them.  As for shooting cartridges, it seems you and I are in agreement, we have other revolvers for that purpose.

I do not currently have a photo of the three revolvers but believe I have posted such in the past.

If you have any questions, sent me an email as I am not often on the forum anymore.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 04:32:06 AM »
My favorite to shoot is a 1862/5 I had Mike hop up. I like the smaller grips

To go to the original question the pocket size frame (1849/62) is about 2/3 the size of the belt size 1851/60/61)

Colt essentially made three frame sizes Pocket, Belt, and Holster. The pocket was originally 31 and the belt 36 but they were later rebated to use a larger caliber (36 and 44 respectively)

The holster (horse holster) size was never rebated although I wish one of the Italians would do it as that would bump it up to 54 or 56 and that would be a true monster. I think only Uberti makes the holster frame size now, and the belt, and they tend to shy away from the fantasy pieces like that would be

For the most part the rebated cylinder guns use the new round barrel with the creeping loading lever although Colt couldn't keep up with the demand for the 1862 Pocket Model of Navy Caliber so they altered the old 1849 tooling to 36 and created what collectors call the 1865 Navy (which makes no sense as Navy refers to caliber [36] not loading lever and barrel design)
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:58:45 AM »
I have seen it refered to by gun scribes and collectors as The New Model Pocket Pistol of Navy Caliber, or The Pocket Navy Revolver.

I think that is how Colt sold it as the New Model Pocket of Navy Caliber

Navy always referred to caliber (36) not design. Army was 44. Frame size was Pocket, Belt, and Holster
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline oldfart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
got to fondle a pocket navy colt 2cd generation today at my local cabalas 
I fell in love with it,  but didn't like the 500+ price,

there was a Baby Dragoon Colt 2cd also, cylinder wouldn't spin when it was on half cock, and they still wanted 500+ for it,

Ill just save up and buy a uberti,,,
the Paterson took my savings i had,,LOL  but me happy

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:00 AM »
Reading this, from a performance point of view, I fired the 1849 Pocket and the Pocket Police from 25 yards at a sheet steel siding piece.  The .31 dented it and the .36 went through it.

I was surprised as to how powerful the .36 Pockets are.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 06:36:50 PM »
Reading this, from a performance point of view, I fired the 1849 Pocket and the Pocket Police from 25 yards at a sheet steel siding piece.  The .31 dented it and the .36 went through it.

I was surprised as to how powerful the .36 Pockets are.

I wouldn't expect them to be much less powerful than a Navy. Ask Davis Tutt about that one...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 11:44:11 PM »
Can t  be done!  He s  dead!  Downed by a ball from either a Colts patent revolving belt pistol, or of the heavy four pounder, old Army types.  The ones carrying a ball of holster caliber.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »
For town, a .36 is obviously adequate but out in the baddies a .44 would be more to the point.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
I hope you are talking about 1860 Army pistols. I abhor the Pietta .44 versions of the 1851 Navy.
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo