Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta 1851 Navy .36 And Confederate Cousins  (Read 5520 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Pietta 1851 Navy .36 And Confederate Cousins
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:22:54 PM »
If anyone is looking for a replica Pietta 1851 Navy 2nd Model Squareback TG, this is about as close as you will get, if DGW still has them:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=701_709_712&products_id=14047&osCsid=303nathssoqvoob45rmbgl2131

I have one but I had to order a separate TG from Taylor's in turn from Pietta back in 2014 to create one with a 2014 "tail" grip profile on a Pietta 1851 Navy that I bought from Cabela's in 2014 (date code [CM]. As of 2015, Pietta does not produce a "tail" revolver (date code 2015 [CN] or 2016 [CP], and the DGW photo shows a "tail" pistol. If interested, I would call before ordering. Please remember that when Pietta discontinued the "tail" profile, the old profile grip profile pieces (wood, trigger guard, and backstrap) will fit the newer Piettas but have to be changed out as a 3-piece group as opposed to the newer grip profile which also has to be changed out as a 3-piece group with the pre-2015 pistols.

I would call DGW before ordering just to make sure it a SB TG if that is what you want.

Here is another Colt 1851 Squareback with silver plated TG and BS up for auction. Other than the boogered up screw heads it looks good for the price. Screws are cheap. The grip profile is more "normal" than the Pietta "tail" 1851 Navy .36 pistols, if there is such as thing as normal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632533990

Here is mine:

I consider them as repro 1851 Navy Second Model .36 pistols with the rectangular stop slots on the cylinder. Others have disagreed.

Good hunting, folks.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:04:38 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Pietta 1851 Navy .36 And Confederate Cousins
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
Hi Jim, that's a beauty!! A serious defect of the 1858 Remington is the round trigger guard. Shoot a number heavy rounds and your knuckle gets black and blue. A squareback trigger guard on the 1858 would be a godsend.

Any brass casters out there?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
Hi Jim, that's a beauty!! A serious defect of the 1858 Remington is the round trigger guard. Shoot a number heavy rounds and your knuckle gets black and blue. A squareback trigger guard on the 1858 would be a godsend.

Regards,
Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the compliment! I have no problem shooting the SB TG or the RB TG with the 1851 Navy (or the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag for that matter), but your observations run mostly 180* to the contrary for folks whom have shot the SB TG on any pistol. Most just like them for the look only.

It is nice to know that someone else out there likes them besides me!

Take care,

Jim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Put your pinky under the grip and it won't do that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the compliment! I have no problem shooting the SB TG or the RB TG with the 1851 Navy (or the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag for that matter), but your observations run mostly 180* to the contrary for folks whom have shot the SB TG on any pistol. Most just like them for the look only.

It is nice to know that someone else out there likes them besides me!

Take care,

Jim

I used to like the look of sb trigger guards. I also used to like Rugers. Until I bought a SS Ruger SBH back around 1980. Haven't liked either one since.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
I used to like the look of sb trigger guards. I also used to like Rugers. Until I bought a SS Ruger SBH back around 1980. Haven't liked either one since.

Hmm...sucks to be you, Hawg! (7+"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 04:59:47 AM »
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley 44Mag. The round trigger guard is not a problem.  Been shooting it sense 1986. Mr. Dough,thanks for the heads up on the Dixie Square Back.  It came Tuesday,and it is perfect. One thing different on this one.   The wood looks to be oiled,like the original Colts.  I like it. Puter croaked last week.This is from my new one.  You guys are costing me money.Aint it great!  Thanks again!  Pic to follow.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »
Mr. Dough, thanks for the heads up on the Dixie Square Back.  It came Tuesday, and it is perfect. One thing different on this one. The wood looks to be oiled, like the original Colts. I like it. Puter croaked last week. This is from my new one.  You guys are costing me money.  Aint it great!  Thanks again!  Pic to follow.

Eric,

I am very interested in seeing pic(s) of your new SB Navy. Is this the same one you received?

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=14047&osCsid=8t7brd43euh48c0u7ir1i1qve4

If so, could you let us know what the manufacture date code is (right side of frame)? Thanks so much!

Our sole purpose in BP life is to get you to buy pistols and share photos.   L@.

Jim

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
Yes,just like the pic on Dixie. I think the date code is    CP.  Have to get my oldest son over here to post pics {set up puter,12 year old one died}. Today is his 45th birthday. Sooooo maybe tomorrow.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 04:14:32 PM »

Hmm...sucks to be you, Hawg! (7+"

Yeah sometimes it does. The biggest mistake I ever made in the SA world was this tho.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:17:53 PM by Hawg »