Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Need some help identifying a couple of BPs  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
Need some help identifying a couple of BPs
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
Hi all!

I bought a couple of replicas on Gunbroker the other day. The descriptions were a bit vague but I took a bit of chance cause the prices were right. So I got them today and while they are possibly the coolest BPs I've got I actually don't know what they are.  :-[ ($!

The first photos are of the pair together.

The top is an Replica Arms 1860 full flute Army - right? The roll mark is a bit rubbed out but you can tell it says "Replica Arms ?NO. Maretta Ohio Made in Italy" It's very well made, tight and locks up nice. It's been fired. The brass has a nice patina like it might be from the 60s or 70s. It's actually a little bit smaller overall than my Pietta 1860 Army. I gave $325 for it - I jumped on it due to the fluted cylinder. I'm pretty new to all of this but from reading I've picked up some keywords. ;)

The bottom is the bigger mystery to me. The descjiption said ASM Black Power .36 caliber. I wasn't sure exactly what it was (sometimes the sellers have to guess at it) - but for $124 I took a chance. So I get it today and it's almost like a miniature gun! Ha! So I'm thinking maybe a pocket of some sort. It has the semi-fluted cylinder - and it's 5 shot. I don't see ASM on it anywhere - just some stamps. Like the other it's been fired but in really nice shape, tight.

So if someone would educate me on what I have I would appreciate it. I'm happy with them but did I do okay price-wise?

Thanks!
Daf

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
Re: Need some help identifying a couple of BPs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
More pics

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
More pics

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »
More pics

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
The smaller, bottom revolver looks like a brass framed version of the 1862 Pocket Police model. It looks like it might be a Pietta. 8)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:53:05 PM »
It's an 1862 police but it's not a Pietta. Pietta used the 51 navy frame for their so called police and they do not have a rebated cylinder. Uberti doesn't make brass framed police models so my guess is ASM.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Hey thanks, guys! I found some pics of an ASM Police and I'm sure you are right. Cool little gun. Interesting that they downsized them drastically compared to the 1849 "pocket" piece.

Anything interesting about the other one? I'm pretty new but I don't see many full fluted replicas.

Thanks again!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »
The small police model is probably an ASM like Hawg says.  ASM marked their revolvers a couple different ways.  Look for a triangle "A" shape with the bottom part of the A forming an "M" shape.  They also stamped S Marco on some of the frames. 

The full fluted 1860 is an Uberti if it was made in late sixties/early seventies.   I have one just like it from Replica arms made in 1969 by Uberti.   Replica Arms was an importer and didn't make an revolvers but imported from several different makers.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
CVA used to import the brass framed little pocket 36's as kits
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
A great start to a nice collection, Daf. I'm in agreement with the Pocket Police...probably ASM, look at this link to see if you can ID it further by the marks on the gun...

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=116.0

Same goes for the first one. Replica Arms was an importer. I would look for a maker's mark such as ASM, DGG (Armi San Paolo) etc to determine who made it. My buddy had a Liberty Arms gun that looked identical to the full-fluted model, right down to the blond wood on the grips. ID'ing the date code via Roman numerals or capital letters in a box will square the date of manufacture away and narrow down who the maker could have been.
Again, congrats!
And if you are still stumped, take some close-ups of the marks and post them.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
The 1860 is a Uberti.  The Uberti makers mark is visible on the frame in the Army1 photo.  There is an XXV (1969) dated code on the right side of the frame in the Army2 picture

THe brass framed 1862 Pocket Police has a BH (1996) date code on it.  If it was sold by CVA, there would be a CVA logo in he frame and if it was a kit, there would not have been a date code or proof marks.  Chances are that they were both originally sold by Navy Arms - which took over Replica Arms.

You may have paid a little more than you should have for the 1860; but you got the Pocket Police at a good price.  All in all, you did OK.

Congratulations!  Be sure to submit a field report after you take them to the range

FM
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:54:41 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
Isn't that an 1861 Navy and not an 1860?  The water table isn't rebated.

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
The Uberti is a 61 Navy.  Cal 36 is stamped above the wedge screw.

RC

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
 (jh  Completely overlooked that.  Being a full fluted '61 makes it more desireable - and valuable
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
I didn't notice either.   I hate clicking on thumbnails so I only looked at the first photo.   I'd love to have that full fluted '61 to go with my Replica Arms 1860.