Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Uberti Remington range report  (Read 3169 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Uberti Remington range report
« on: May 21, 2017, 03:04:15 AM »
This is a mixed bag for a report. I am both tickled and Disturbed in this revolver.

First the shooting report and I will report on the function after this portion;

To begin I started with my paper cartridges with both Lee's conicals and the.454 round balls flung out with 30 grains of GOEX 3 Fg powder. Very dissatisfied with the function and accuracy of these zig zag cig paper cartridges. Both in function ( altho they loaded like a dream) and no perceptible accuracy (all shooting was on a rest at 10 yards). Frustrated with the paper left in the chamber ( first time I have had this problem) and so I began to load with loose powder and balls as well as the conicals. Still no love with the 30 grain 3 Fg powder. So packing up I started to stow my old brass powder flask with the 20 grain spout and thought why not try the spout full under a cylinder of balls before heading home ... WALLA !!! ... This Remington LOVES the lesser powder charge being more accurate then this shooter can hold ... This is true with the Lee conicals as well although they printed 4 inch higher than the balls. But they printed into 1 inch for me when I could do my part. All in all a very fun revolver and after I get the reliability fixed it may well become a runner with the Colts.
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
Re: Uberti Remington range report
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 03:37:34 AM »
Now for the reliability portion;

Dissatisfied with the function would be a understatement. Although the fit and finish ( outside anyway) is great ... The function leaves a bit on the table.

First cylinder full my hammer stopped having any spring behind it. Taking the grips off I expected to have the main spring fall out in 2 pieces ... Nope was still intact. Looking closer I discovered that the spring had slipped by the hammer roller and had sprung above the roller portion of the hammer. Thinking that I could certainly have reassembled it incorrectly I put the spring back where it's spose to be. After more missfires I finally got the first cylinder shot. Second cylinder after 1 shot the same thing happened. Getting a little miffed I"fixed" it again with the thought that I am stuck with this revolver as I had slicked it and made some mods that would not allow me to send it back.

I fought this malfunction through the rest of the shoot wondering if the main spring is short or the hammer is configured wrong for the spring contact area. Continue with the shoot it missfires many times and upon investigation I see the hammer is hitting the left side of the frame slightly as the hammer falls. So maybe they things are related.

Getting back home I cleaned the Rem and began to address the hammer strike on the frame. Filed the left side of the frame enough that I relieved and broke the sharp edge along the left side of the frame. Also took my file to the left side of the hammer where it intrudes through the frame ... Now it slams through the frame without touching either side.

As for the mainspring ... Is it possible to have a short spring? I truly hope this isn't a Friday gun.

I am bound to see this thru as I very much like this revolver. She is accurate and seems to be well received in my oversized mit. Got the shine taken off Uberti Remingtons for me though. I thinks it's going to be a great shooter after I get thru the nonsense tho. I really like the dovetailed front sight ... Great job on that for sure.
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:20:42 AM »
Hi Ted, sorry to hear you are having a problem with your new Uberti 1858.

Did the revolver function correctly before you took it apart? Did you reassemble the revolver with the wrong hammer spring screw, wrong screw like the loading lever screw? If you used the right hammer spring screw, for the time being try putting a round toothpick in the space between the end of the hammer spring and the frame slot bottom. That will move the spring up. You could also use solid wire cut to length instead of the toothpick. That should provide a temporary fix.

I replace all my 1858 revolver springs (all 12) with the Wolff reduced power spring:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/247241/wolff-mainspring-colt-saa-emf-hartford-and-clones-reduced-power

There are a few good reasons to use the Wolff spring. Reduced hammer and trigger pull, ease of spring removal and insertion, and less loading on the revolver parts are benefits.

If you get the reduced power spring only tighten the hammer screw on the Wolff spring to where the screw head is flush with the frame.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:19:25 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
Good tip on the wire/tooth pick ... I will have to give that a try. Yes correct adjustment screw.

I tuned the nipples to fit my two brands of caps better. I will order new nipples from TOTW.

Strangely enough I really like this revolver. I will ensure that it is tuned and works properly no matter what it takes ... However I do not know if I would ever spend the extra jingle for the Uberti over the Pietta tho.
BIGTED