Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Gated Howell 1851 conversion  (Read 27810 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Gated Howell 1851 conversion
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2017, 06:52:33 AM »
Thank you Richard .  .  .  . 

Ain't they FUN?!!!!!!    L@.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:45 AM »
Hi, a new video on the Richards Mason cartridge video:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
Hi, LeathersmithMike is a wizard. Three recently gated conversion cylinder revolvers needed a new lined holster that could hold basic 1851 frames with ejector and tall front sight. Mike made me a new beautiful holster that have each of the revolvers fitting like a glove, just perfect! My steel targets will blush with envy when I wear that holster at the range.

These are the revolvers and new holster:

If you never bought a holster from Mike, you don't know what you are missing.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
I'll second that. His craftsmanship is outstanding. L@.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »
Hi, today I took the new LeathersmithMike's holster and Pietta 1851 with the Howell gated conversion cylinder revolver out back and shot the hell out of the white buffalo and black bart. This is the best fitting holster I have ever owned, the revolver went in and out of the holster like it was melted butter.  &\? &\? &\?

After shooting I half expected to see my local Seneca Indians come out with their poker tables and roulette wheel to scalp me.  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »
After shooting I half expected to see my local Seneca Indians come out with their poker tables and roulette wheel to scalp me.  (7+" (7+" (7+"
Oh, they'll prolly leave you alone...not many buff in the NY area. It's them Plains Indians ya gotta watch out for.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
Hi, looking for a new gated conversion project. I have a Pietta 1862 (more like an 1861) revolver that could make for a cool gated 38 Special conversion:

This revolver has already been sighted in for shooting .38 Special with the Taylor conversion cylinder. Not being gated, the barrel must be removed to load.

I am pretty sure that the Howell 1851 gated conversion cylinder and Kirst 1860 ejector would work on doing the gated 1862 conversion. Once converted, the Pietta 1862 may make for a neat carry revolver.

Midway occasionally has conversion cylinders on sale and this project will wait until the conversion cylinder is available on sale.

Regards,
Richard
Richard ,did you get this one converted ? I'm interested in the gun it is Pietta's version of the 1862 Police .I would like to get one.
(the gun , not a conversion )
Ole Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2018, 06:42:53 AM »
Hi, its so nice that the weather is now allowing shooting in comfort. This morning I took out my Pietta 1851 with Howell gated conversion that uses the Kirst ejector to shoot. Fired a couple hundred 38 Special on steel targets. I forgot how accurate this revolver is, almost the same holes can be hit from 25yds. The dovetail front sight helps a lot. Of all the conversions I have done, this 1851 is the most accurate and slickest. This is the revolver after shooting:

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2018, 07:14:09 AM »
Glad to see someone is out having fun with their guns.   Nice photo of the '51 too.   

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »
Hey just read this entire thread, great post Richard.

Many thanks for your photo essay. I have done a Uberti 1860 and had tons o fun with it. I also have that very Pietta 61 with a 6 shot 38 cylinder. At first the hollow base wad cutters did poorly ... then I throttled them back to around 650 FPS ... all the difference in the world. Great accuracy.

Next I wanna ream the cylinder throats and begin playing with heeled bullets. These should be the shiz niz.
BIGTED