Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 2nd/3rd Gen similarities  (Read 8534 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
2nd/3rd Gen similarities
« on: July 18, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
Seems the model indentity codes of the 2nd generation and the 3rd generation are the same.  Curious.  Anyone know-  Does the  'F'  stand for Forgett?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd/3rd Gen similarities
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
Why would it?  Forgett sold Colt the parts to build the 2nd Gen 51's but later the same year Colt dumped Forgett and went with Imperato for parts. AFAIK the C & F designations are merely bluing differences.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
Another similarity is the finish of the  C  series to that of the  3rd Gens.  I have them both.  Almost identical.  Anyway,  Great work, great history,  just great all the way around.  I, and clearly many more, are grateful for all the effort and attention in bringing us back these wonderful arms.  All of them!!!  All those guys and their teams,- Lou, Val,  and and and.

Would nt  you agree? ,  Hawg.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Of course I agree. I just wish the Italians didn't take such liberties with the original designs.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
The 2nd Gen C and F-Series 1851 Navy has a totally different trigger guard shape than the Sig Series. The 2nd Gen Walker has a very different grip shape than the Sig Series. I agree there are many similarities but I also find the differences interesting.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
Not to rain on anybody's parade but looks aside, the action parts in all those guns are terrible!! The worst guns to work on as a group have been these. The problem is the time period they were produced.
  The looks of them are awesome! But, I don't work on looks!  Function is priority for me. Today's offerings from Uberti more closely match the first gen parts I've had the privilege to see. Bolts having a thin left arm.and hands that appear to have been produced with function in mind instead of geometrical shapes carved out with a hatchet and a truck spring stuck in for good measure! 
  If I had the time, (which I definitely do not!) I would  see if today's parts would function in the 2nd/3rd gens. If so, a much improved revolver would result!!  Better springs all around and better parts by far!!  They would then be possibly the finest open top Colts ever produced!!?   Maybe someday, I'll give it a shot and see and maybe I can offer a "complete change over" upgrade!! As it is, I have the original parts to work with and can make a presentable shooter.
  I have no problem with strict collectors and completely understand their take on the $ubject but as far as having a shooter, today's offerings are "lightyears" ahead of the '70/'80s products.
  This of course is my opinion from an "inside ” view !!  From the outside .  .  .  .  .  they're Beautiful!!!!!
 Have fun!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Mike, the so called 3rd gen Colts, i.e.: the Signature Series guns were made starting in 1994 and manufactured through 2002, not the '80s. The frames were made in the U.S.A. and not Italy, though the cylinders and barrels were. I'd be curious to know if current Uberti internals would fit these guns.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
Mike, the so called 3rd gen Colts, i.e.: the Signature Series guns were made starting in 1994 and manufactured through 2002, not the '80s. The frames were made in the U.S.A. and not Italy, though the cylinders and barrels were. I'd be curious to know if current Uberti internals would fit these guns.

First I've heard of sig series frames being made here. AFAIK know just screws and a few small parts were made here in the old IJ factory. I have heard the frames were a mix of Uberti and ASM.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
Hawg, I was just going by one of Dennis Adler's books where he quoted Lou Imperato, owner of Colt Blackpowder Arms, as saying that the Signature Series frames were made at the old Iver Johnson factory in the U.S. and the barrels and cylinders came from Uberti. I believe that the 2nd Gen F Series Colts used some ASM parts. I'd give an exact quote, but the book is buried some where in my garage.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Thanks BC.
  I was basically going by the looks of the action  parts themselves.  I know the 2nd gens were '70s stuff and  all the 80s, 90s,  (take your pick of any maker) until about 2013 or so, all look like they came from the '70s. Terrible!! Timing all over the place (usually late). 

Hawg, I too understand ASM was in the mix and got stuck with some barrels. 

Anyway, like I said, it doesn't matter to me what somebody wants, collects, or whatever.  I just do what I do and and the rest is  .   .  .  .  .  the rest.

Main thing is .  .  .  .  .  .  have FUN / be SAFE!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
Uberti subcontracted ASM to make barrels for the 2nd gens and when Colt stopped production ASM got stuck with them. I dunno how that all worked out with Uberti and ASM but ASM used the Colt marked barrels on some of their own guns and Colt sued them over it. That's why you see so many ASM's with Colt addresses. Those are the ones that got out before the lawsuit. I got that info from Dr Jim Davis.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »
Does anyone know how the cylinder scenes are done?  A roller stamp of some kind?  Who did these stamps for the various gens?  Simply put, the cyllinder scenes on mine (I have C, F and 3rd) are not as good as the originals,- Different lines, shapes etc.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
I think the original cylinders were rolled across an engraved plate so are more of a stamping than an engraving. The second gens may have been done the same way but they didn't have Ormsby's plates. The 3rd gens were most likely laser engraved.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »
I think Hawg is correct; the engraving is designated as "roll engraving"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
Lazar engraved.  did nt  consider that.  Do you know where Colt got the roller/flat plates for the 2nd Gens?  Did they re-create them or something?