Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Private Range  (Read 6149 times)

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
Re: My Private Range
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »
That's a really nice range! I can see why the demand to get it would cause a 2 year wait, looks very nice.

It's a shame to hear about the public lands there. We have two somewhat nearby me here in MD but I haven't been to see them yet, so we'll see if they fare any better. I will say the Park Service ranges near my old hometown had a bad run there for a while with people shooting at garbage/old appliances/etc until the Service basically said they couldn't afford to clean it and they'd shut it down if got that bad again. Now there's a volunteer group that keeps it nice and helps to keep out the riff raff, it's been nice the last few times I've visited.

From reading about the wait times, and knowing the private ranges here have about the same, I'll assume its about the standard probably nationwide. Long lists and high fees probably help keep the membership friendly/keep out ne'er-do-wells, although it does make it a pain when you don't plan on living in the same area for more than a few years.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »
When I got my first BP rifle as a teen we used to go down in the woods behind the church cemetery and plink away.  Never thought twice about it, never had any problems.  Had never even heard of a private range... 

Probably couldn't do it now though...

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Whip, you just reminded me......when 13 years old road my bicycle with a .22 rifle across the
handle bars, about a mile out of my little town to the sand hills in the North East. No body nevermind.
Was just a natural ,normal thing to do............. :( those were the good ole days.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 02:10:20 PM »
Talk about how times have changed -

When my dad began teaching high school around 1971 many of the students in his class were kids of farmers, country folks, etc.  He learned to shoot doves because they'd invite him out most weekends during dove season to go hunting with them on their family land.  A regular occurrence.

All these years later he still knows a lot of those kids. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 08:26:08 PM »
Tell me about it...back when I was a freshman/sophomore I was in rifle club...used to bring my .22 in the case and leave it in the office so I could pick it up after school on the way to the range... L@.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"