Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Signature Series  (Read 4526 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
1860 Signature Series
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
Has anyone here read the article in the latest Shooting Times magazine about the 3rd Gen. Colt? The author writes a glowing report about the gun, then states that it is regarded as an "authentic Colt". He bases this on the book by Dennis Adler who states that since Uberti used a proprietary Colt bluing method the gun is considered as authentic. Really? A 2 minute search would have given him the information needed. Colt will not letter the 3rd Generation guns, period!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: 1860 Signature Series
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
Colt will not letter the 3rd Generation guns, period!

Colt used to letter them. According to the official Colt historian, Paul, on the Colt Archives, quote:

"We do not letter these guns - I believe that we used to, but we do not maintain any of the shipping records, so I think we stopped doing that.

As far as our position, it isn't really a position. The fact is the guns were produced under a licensing agreement with Colt Blackpowder Arms, manufactured to Colt's specifications. Now, does that make it a true Colt or not? I'm sure that debate will never have any consensus. My personal take is that they are not true Colt's, but that they do hold their own place within Colt collecting. Comparable situations would be the Argentine contract 1911's (not the Colt produced ones - the Argentinian produced ones), the Norwegian contract 1911's, the Spanish produced .25 autos, and the current Walther produced .22's."
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »
Colt never lettered them. How could they? They had no part in the manufacture of them, they didn't warranty them and they certainly didn't ship them, all they did was sell the rights to use their name. They're no more a Colt than a Colt marked Zippo lighter.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
They're no more a Colt than a Colt marked Zippo lighter.

I've got one of those.  Colt Royal Blue, not that cheap imitation blue/black of the Signature Series.  You mean the guy that sold it to me as an authentic Colt was lying?    *9+
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »

I've got one of those.  Colt Royal Blue, not that cheap imitation blue/black of the Signature Series.  You mean the guy that sold it to me as an authentic Colt was lying?    *9+

Well ummm actually. Yep!  (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »
I seem to recall that when Colt ended the "Authentic Series" black box Colts, there were a lot of parts unused and ASM (?) continued to assemble and sell them as Colts. Colt sued, and the Signature Series came into being. I can see arguments both ways; the 2nd and 3rd Gen. guns are virtually identical, except the 3rd Gen. guns were not assembled under Colt supervision.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
I seem to recall that when Colt ended the "Authentic Series" black box Colts, there were a lot of parts unused and ASM (?) continued to assemble and sell them as Colts. Colt sued, and the Signature Series came into being. I can see arguments both ways; the 2nd and 3rd Gen. guns are virtually identical, except the 3rd Gen. guns were not assembled under Colt supervision.

Colt did the final fitting and finishing themselves on the 2nd gens. Colt didn't have anything to do with the signature series. The way it was explained to me by Dr Davis is Uberti subcontracted ASM to make Colt marked barrels for the second gens and when Colt stopped production ASM got stuck with them. ASM used the barrels on their own guns and Colt sued.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »

^j)   :'(
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »

^j)   :'(

It'll be alright.  )lI