Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Private Range  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
My Private Range
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »
Getting there, beween the purple mountains and the sandy colored hills 17 miles from home.

closer to the left over a small creek....

On the other side of the trees....

There tis down the road....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:14:25 AM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Re: My Private Range
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
New photos modified.
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »
Hi Hewy, private range? Do you own it? It looks like a great place to shoot.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
Seventeen miles is doable! And, it looks flat too. I can shoot in my yard, but range is limited to about 80 yards.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
No don't own it. It is a members only range. Took two years in order to get in.
I am a voting member, so call it my range.
The range is on three levels ,  upper is what you see with covered bench. Lower is for
100 yard out to 200 yards, but is shot from the bench same as upper. Separate is a pistol
only ,block walled in from rest of area. It has a dark border wall  shown to right of cover ( seen left in photo)
Have a key to main gate and can use it anytime day or night.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:00:36 PM by Hewy »
Hewy

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
Beautiful, Hewy.  Day or night, too.  Congratulations!  Looks like Riverside/San Bernardino County for sure.

Is the first photo facing east?

Can you see San Jacinto Mt. from the high points there?

You really have a shooting spot now.  Boy howdy and hot damn!!
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »
You know the terrain. What you see is looking West. The purple mountain is the Santa Ana range.
Yes before the road drops down where the Oaks and Sycamores grow, all the high peaks 13k 14k feet
San Jacinto, San Gergonio, Mt Baldy are very visible.
I am lucky to have the spot, good bunch of folks . Not to many places other than indoor ranges. I did go
to a small patch of BLM land not to far from there, but that is a dangerous place to be.
Hewy

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:33:39 PM »
Very nice! I can see why there is a waiting list.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Congrats on getting in Hewy, I've been on a waiting list closing in on about 2 years to get into a private place to shoot here.  Should be close to getting in sometime around 1st of the year (I hope).  Will definitely be an improvement over the current situation.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
I did go to a small patch of BLM land not to far from there, but that is a dangerous place to be.

Why dangerous, Hewy?  I’m intrigued.  Is that because of the vibrant south of the boarder invaders? 

We have to be careful here.  Most of my shooting and hiking is on BLM land where there are lots of pot grows and farmed by guys brought up in windowless vans who have no idea where-the-eff they are.  The police reports that I read indicate that they commonly assume they’re in Texas. L@J  We have recovered several  AK’s at those locations.  Sad.   8)

[I speak here of the Coast Range, NW Cali, my turf]

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:12:16 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
G Dog, I deem it dangerous cause it is, from other shooters around me. The problem is the shape
of the land . It is mostly a  hill in the center of the designated BLM . So shooters are aiming I hope at the hill
pretty much all around, so it winds up being a "circular firing squad". Plus the hill has car size rocks.
You know what happens when a slug hits rock.
I had a close call when I was shootng at my target stand , when a couple ricochets buzzed by in front of me.
So I packed up drove around the low hill and there they were, a family group, adults , kids shooting at rocks
inline to where I was.
I warned the ....adult ? in the group that there are people on other side and to adjust his range toward the hill
not the side . His comment.....".well their just going to have to move"
That was over three years ago. About 6 months after , read in local news,  some idiot was shooting at rocks, a bullet fragment hit himself in the neck and was airlifted out............ (K|
Hewy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »
Hewy,   this is exactly why I won't use public land.    Access is limited to just one or two places where you can drive in.   30 to 40 shooters parked at the access points blasting away at appliances and trash with semi auto weapons.   Then they leave it all behind and haul in more next time.   There is thousands and thousands of acres of public land in Colorado but most of is surrounded by private land so getting to it is nearly impossible.

I've been looking for club like yours within 50 miles of here.  None exist so I'm forced to look further away.   80 miles is how far I will have to travel in the future.    Last weekend was the last time I had the pleasure of shooting at the ranch where my son lives.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
Same types that do that here. Trash, trash and more trash. I haven't been back since that
event, nor will I ever. They put us good guys in a bad light.
Hewy

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 05:59:42 AM »
I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that access is still such a huge problem for you guys out West, I guess I expect it down here in the land of concrete, asphalt, and neon tourist signs (So Florida), but wouldn't have expected to hear that it's just as bad out there.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »
It depends on which state you live in.   Colorado only cares about access for bicyclists and millennials out for nature walks.   No shooting allowed in those areas where access is convenient.   On public lands that border state roads and highways there is little or no parking.   If you park where you're not supposed to your vehicle state troopers will ticket or tow you.   Private land owners have dealt with problems for years and are very very protective.