Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 2nd/3rd Gen similarities  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd/3rd Gen similarities
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
Lazar engraved.  did nt  consider that.  Do you know where Colt got the roller/flat plates for the 2nd Gens?  Did they re-create them or something?

I have no idea. If they did use that method they would have had to but I don't know who they enlisted to do it but it wasn't up to Ormsby's standards. AFAIK laser engraving wasn't as easily done as it is now when the 2nd gens were made but I guess it is possible.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
Scrutinizing the engravings on the  C  F  and 3rd gens, they seem to be all the same.  Do you think Uberti did all of them?  I mean the C s  were done by, basically the same folks,- Val, Lou and Iver (Iver s  works) ?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
I don't know. Fingers may.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
All of this is quite fascinating.  The   e n g r a v i n g   seems more to be a roller press engraving.  As if the engraving rollers were with sharp reliefs that actually cut into the surface, and did nt  just press/stamp.  Anyway.

One thing that   r e a l l y   eludes me is   a n y   explanantion as the why Colt left the Walker and early Dragoon cylinders unblued/finished.  This  'In the white'  state.  So far I have found only one reference to it at all!  In a letter from an inspector, where he s  talking about another contract from Colt, he states in part-  ' . .except the the cylinders may be blued . .'   clearly refering to the unfinished cylinders from before.

Other than guessing/speculation etc, does anyone know why Colt left the Walker, and some Dragoon cylinders unfinished?  Any documentation on it,   a n y w h e r e ?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
Scrutinizing the engravings on the  C  F  and 3rd gens, they seem to be all the same.  Do you think Uberti did all of them?  I mean the C s  were done by, basically the same folks,- Val, Lou and Iver (Iver s  works) ?

No, I don't think Uberti did them all.  If you compare ASMs, Armi San Paolos, Piettas and all the other roll engraved cylinders, they mostly all look alike. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
Thank you for that.  How do you think, know, these companies did the engraving.  Certainly not the way Ormsby did it, right?  Hand engraving the master etc.  Do you think/know if they did it by acid etching, some kind of CAD/lazer etc, from a photo of the original plates , ,  something like this?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
Other than guessing/speculation etc, does anyone know why Colt left the Walker, and some Dragoon cylinders unfinished?  Any documentation on it,   a n y w h e r e ?

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard it said Colt believed bluing affected the integrity of the wrought iron cylinders with the heavy loads the Walkers and dragoons used. As for Ormsby's plates, the originals were destroyed in a fire in 1864. I don't know the whereabouts of the replacements but I assume in museums or private collections. I imagine the Italians copied the engravings from originals.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
All the 2nd Gens I have are pretty good.  Contrary to what their catalog states, Some 3rd gens have stupid fit/finish quality.  Proud wood,  'faded' case colors,  other than free spinning cylinders.  Ok,  I have a 2nd gen pocket Police that is lacking kinda bad too.  The thing is, the colt catalog for the 3rd gens boast and brag,  [ ' . . best fit wood to frame . .']   I have some 3rd gens which rival the quality of the C series.  Ups and downs.  The 2  C series I have are impecible.  Well, almost.  Seems the 3rd Dragoon has a small blotch of varnish on the grip.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
This may be heretical and a minority position of one - but solely from an esthetic perspective, the back straps on the 3d Gen Signature Series seem to be an unfortunate distraction and a bad idea.   
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:20:16 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 08:44:20 PM »
This may be heretical and a minority position of one - but solely from an esthetic perspective, the back straps on the 3d Gen Signature Series seem to be an unfortunate distraction and a bad idea.

Not to mention it's butt ugly.  (7+"

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 12:01:06 AM »
The silver sig BS are just that! ,- BS !  Butt ugly is right!  However, the Sigs on the blued BS s (the two examples I have: Walkers and 60 Army) look pretty good.  Cut fine and gold.  Whereas the silver BS ones seem to be a cheap indentation.