Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Glutton for punishment  (Read 15399 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Glutton for punishment
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
Hi, since I'm such a glutton fro punishment, I ordered the OWBM 150gr heeled 38 Colt bullet:

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/products/38-375dia-150gr-heel-seated-double-cavity-bullet-mould

The risk is that it may not fit on 38 Long Colt brass in my Howell gated conversion cylinders. Worst case I will use that bullet to load 38 Short Colt brass that I previously purchased.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
Hi, since I will probably be doing some 38 Short Colt loading is the future, I thought about making a new shell holder for the 38 Colt crimp die so I wouldn't need to screw around making die adjustment when changing to different length 38 Colt brass. The metal and other parts needed would cost slightly less than $50. I could probably make a dozen shell holders with the minimal amount of material that I could purchase, but I need only one shell holder. Economics suggests that just buying another OWBM crimp die is the answer, another crimp die has been ordered:

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/products/38-long-and-short-colt-heel-bullet-crimp-die

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
Richard, if you go to the CastBoolits forum you will find info pertaining to brass molds. Like you, I never did anything except clean them and cast. On the forum they recommend 2-3 cycles of heat (to 400*) and cool before using. ?? Supposed to make a patina in the cavities that makes casting and releasing the boolits better. How about just using them like we do? L@J

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
Hi mazo, that Lee 375-135-R mold that Steve gave you intrigues me. That mold sells for less than $20, see:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010194932/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-375-130-1r-375-diameter-130-grain-1-ogive-radius-conical

One of the reviews on that mold says that the heeled portion diameter is 0.363". The heeled portion of my OWBM mold is 0.357" that with finger pressure slips into a 38 Colt or Special case. A 0.363" diameter heel would require case expansion.

Have you loaded those Lee bullets in 38 Colt/Special brass? What is the outside diameter of the finished round? Will it chamber?

If it can be loaded easily and chambers, it would be a nice low cost alternative to the $95 OWBM mold.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
Richard,   one of the tools made from diagonal cutters with a .357 hole drilled in it that Mazo bought from Oftig is designed to swag the heel base of the Lee bullet down to .357.    The other tool is for crimping the bullet after seating. 

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
Right, and these are for the 38 Spl cartridge. They fit in the cylinder just fine. I measured just behind the crimp and it was .375". At the crimp it measures less. I might have to see if I can "fashion" a cartridge lifter and try crimping with my 35 Rem. crimper.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »
Hi, since I'm such a glutton fro punishment, I ordered the OWBM 150gr heeled 38 Colt bullet:

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/products/38-375dia-150gr-heel-seated-double-cavity-bullet-mould

The risk is that it may not fit on 38 Long Colt brass in my Howell gated conversion cylinders. Worst case I will use that bullet to load 38 Short Colt brass that I previously purchased.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the new OWBM 150gr .375" heeled bullet mold arrived yesterday. This morning I cast a few bullets to check if they will load in 38 Long Colt brass with a COAL that will fit my conversion cylinders that have a maximum COAL of 1.480". these are some 150gr heeled bullets cast this morning:

The OWBM 125gr bullet in the 38 Long Colt case COAL is 1.380". One empty 38 Long Colt brass was loaded with one of the 150gr bullets, can be seen in the photo. As I suspected the cartridge COAL is too large for my conversion cylinders, 1.500". I already had purchased a few hundred 38 Short Colt brass so 150gr 38 Short Colt cartridges are in my future. Since I don't want to mess with my 38 Long Colt turret with properly set up dies and powder measure, I ordered a new turret, 38 Colt dies, and Auto Disk powder measure to set up for 38 Short Colt. Another OWBM heeled crimp die was also purchased. This reloading stuff is becoming creeping economics.

I need to say something about the OWBM brass molds. They are fantastic. I have never used molds that cast so perfectly, clear bullets and sprue, and allow efficient production. I must own a few dozen aluminum and steel molds, but they can't hold a candle to my new OWBM brass molds. There's a saying "that you get what you pay for", that's absolutely true with the OWBM brass molds and heeled dies.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:00:14 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
Hi, cast another 150 .375" 150gr Colt heeled OWBM bullets this morning. There is virtually no load data for a 150 gr bullet in a 38 Short Colt with Trail Boss powder. Based on Trail Boss volume load recommendations it appears that 2.0gr of Trail Boss will be a good load for the 150gr bullet in the 38 Short Colt brass. As soon as my dies and auto-disc powder measure arrive I will load up 200 rds of 150gr heeled bullet OWBM using 2.0gr of Trail Boss powder.

Why do heeled bullets when HBWC bullets work so well in 38 Special? They are historic and somewhat more accurate. IMO its where you go when you have been there and done that with most of the other BP revolver stuff. Heeled bullets were on my bucket list after I discovered a cure for cancer. Had to move that desire up in the list.  (7& (7&

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 05:16:46 AM »
I have a bullet mold for heeled .22 bullets.  L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 07:25:07 AM »
Hi, the 38 Colt dies, turret top, and Auto-Disc powder measure arrived yesterday. It took about 1/2 hour to set up the dies and check Trail Boss powder throw for 1.9grs. The heel crimp die was also set up in my single stage press. 100 rounds of the heeled 150gr OWBM with 1.9gr of Trail Boss 38 Short Colt were loaded and are now waiting for the lube:

Will load up another 100 tomorrow.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
I have a bullet mold for heeled .22 bullets.  L@.

Hi Sam, do you also have a crimp die for the .22s?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
Hey Richard, the .22 crimp die is made into this mold.

I havn't used it yet.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
Hi, the heeled 38 Short Colt were lubed using a 50/50 mixture of Lee liquid lube and paint thinner (mineral spirits). The bullet is dipped into the lube and then the point of the bullet is touched to a paper towel to remove excess lube. These are the 100 heeled 38 Short Colt loaded this morning with the lube drying:

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:21:24 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »
Very nice, Richard! You have a regular production line going there!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
Hi, the last batch of 100 150gr heeled 38 Short Colt OWBM with 1.9gr of Trail Boss has been loaded and lubed. The lube is drying. That Lee Liquid ALOX is a pretty good lube and drys to a slightly tacky feel.

This is going to complete my adventure into casting and loading heeled bullets. Other than being somewhat historically correct, they are a real PITA to deal with considering the extra steps required in loading compared to inside lubricated bullets. The issue of the external lube was a reason that the government gave up on heeled bullets.

If you want to shoot 38 Short, Long, or Special from your conversion cylinder use a hollow based bullet like the Magnus or Speer HBWC.

A downside of using HBWC bullets is that accuracy suffers if you want to juice up velocity beyond ~750fps.

Maybe this thread should become a Sticky so that other masochists have an easy to find reference ?

Regards,
Richard