Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Refinishing  (Read 2593 times)

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Refinishing
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:56:53 AM »
What are your thoughts on refinishing? When I picked up my 1903 I was thinking of sending it out for a full reblue and case hardening job. It has been reblued once before I think but it is mostly worn away. or maybe  a nickel finish as they came with that new

But the more I look at it the more the old worn finish is growing in me it just has that I've been used but cared for look
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
Re: Refinishing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
imho leave it as is. I believe it would retain more value that way, too.       mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »

But ...  the old worn finish is growing in me it just has that I've been used but cared for look

That describes my own favorite look on a gun; when it begins to take on its own personal character.   I got a well-used Combat Commander damp in Yucatan during a hurricane season in the 70’s and it pitted a little on top of the slide.  Sent it to Colt Co. for a reblue and it came back looking brand new – like right out of the box brand new.  They did a fine job but I really missed the worn way it was.  Well-worn and properly cared for is (for my tastes) the top aesthetic look on a handgun.  Besides, safe queens don’t look quite right when pulled afield for business purposes (it's nearly an invitation to get laughed at).

I agree with omark.  Just leave it be.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
If it hadn't been reblued once it wouldn't be a discussion but I bought it knowing that. Once it has been done once collector value drops and a second time don't hurt

But I like how it looks
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com