Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 60 Army tech  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
60 Army tech
« on: October 04, 2017, 11:42:52 PM »
In one of my old books, it is described that Colt tapered the inside of the 60 Army chambers so that the breech area would be stronger after complaints of bursting/bulging cylinders.

Also, that the barrel was originally going to be 7 1/2 in, and that is why the loading lever is set back from the end of the barrel.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:58:58 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 60 Army tech
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
They had a few blow in trials. I think because the bolt notch made them too thin in that spot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:09 PM »
Yeah, Colt got a little carried away with his 'Silver Spring Steel' New Model Army.  He wanted it even lighter. The first ones had fully fluted cylinders,   b u t  ,  not even the 'new steel' was good enough. He had to strengthen them by 'belting' the cylinder (rebated). He refered to this new way as the 'Cavalry' cylinder.  They were   s t i l l   having problems.  So, then came along the tapering part inside the chambers. 
Interesting Hawg!, what you pointed out about the bolt stop weak spot.

As a side note, the Government was adament with the whole 8'' barrel business. Colt wanted the 7 1/2''.  The Govt. insisted.  Colt tried to push his Dragoons on them by making them with 8'' barrels (this is where the few 8'' Dragoons came from). Then he tooled up and began the 60s.  Quite successfully I might add.

I ve  got an Authentic fluted 60 # 210695 with an attachable breech stock (Pietta).

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
My full fluted Uberti, 1860 Army is my favorite pistol. And true to the original, the chambers are tapered.

Sourdough and I had this discussion a few moths ago, while he was reading the book by Pate. So I got out my caliper and got to measuring. We found that the chambers very closely match the originals. I wish I'd written the measurements down, because my memory isn't so good. I'll have to measure them again.

Oh and Krylandalian, I don't know you, but I've read many of your posts. Welcome back.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:29:34 AM »
Dave, that one is a real looker!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »
Dave, that one is a real looker!

Thanks Capt.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
Thank you Dave.  That s  uncommon decent of ya Squire.  Quote from Tommy Brock the badger to Benjamin Bunny. Peter Rabbits Dad.

Here s  mine!  I really like it too!  There s  a certain allure and such to it.  I always thought it to be boring until I got one!  There s  something about it.  It s  one of my favorites.

I named it CDR Dahlgren.  Pate s  book describes how these models, a lot of them, went to the Navy.  Dahlgren was involved somehow.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
Those are a nice pair Kry. I specially like the fluted one. But I'm biased.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »
I fire the fluted one and keep the other in new condition. 

I m learning to fire it with the stock. I mean I m  getting familiar with how it fires and all.  One thing I noticed quickly was the particle blast. I get a face full.  It is fun though.  I cast from the steel Colt mold. I mainly fire the elongated balls from it.  Again,  I m  learning all the ins and outs firing it  with the stock, different ranges and so on. 

Great fun.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
Kry, those are gorgeous!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »
Thank ya kindly Capt.

I ve  got video/photos of me firing it.  One thing I want to do is make a YouYube video firing examples each of the old Colts for comparrison, range, different ball types and so on.  This would be fun to see the contrasts between the Pocket 48 through to the Walker. Stocked 60 and Dragoon and so on.

The stocks (60 Army and Dragoon) are Pietta s.  I am searching for Authentic/Signature Colt stocks though.

Maybe they will show up on GunBroker or something.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
I named it CDR Dahlgren.  Pate's book describes how these models, a lot of them, went to the Navy.  Dahlgren was involved somehow.

In 1847 John Dahlgren (Dahlgren Naval Gun) was assigned to the Washington Naval Yard, where he established the US Navy Ordnance Department as a Commander (rank) in charge of procurement. He was promoted to Captain in 1861 at the outbreak of the ACW, and attained the rank of Rear Admiral in 1863, and held that post until 1867. He died in 1870.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »
The stocks (60 Army and Dragoon) are Pietta's.  I am searching for Authentic/Signature Colt stocks though.

I am curious if your shoulder stock hardware scuffs up or damages the pistol wood near the frame. Pate's book has a picture of an 1860 Army that was seemingly extensively used with a shoulder stock.

The Pietta 1860 Army stock is a close replica of the Colt Type 3 stock, to be used with a 4-screw frame cut for shoulder stock. The Pietta 1851 Navy stock is not, and is for 3-screw frames, but necessitates an extended head long hammer screw with corresponding threaded extension on the right side of the frame, which comes with the stock.

EMF has both for $275 each. DGW wants $295 for the Navy.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Shoulder-Stocks-c229.htm

S&S Firearms in Glendale NY advertises a Pietta stock kit for the Navy @ $85. The site says they are out of stock now, and I think they might be forever. When I saw this a couple of months ago, I emailed S&S and the reply was that they had bought a bunch of them several years ago from a dealer who was going out of business.

Anyone interested might try contacting them.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W18236

Thanks for the post, Kry.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 12:33:39 AM »
Thank you Jim

I fitted the stock so that it is used with a burlap insert.  The frame and wood so far shows no marring.  However, the pistol is showing fair wear all about it. So, I m  happy with the amount of wear from the stock. Around the screw and the recoil shield, there s  a bit of wear.  All in all though, it fits well.  I was concerned with the recoil causing stress and so on.  But I was able to fit it well.
It works.

Also, the stock pouch I made really works well. It  has a carry handle and 'D' ring where it clips to a belt or hem etc. Not neccessarily for long distances, but for getting from here to there, ,  anyway,  works good.

All goes for the Dragoon too.