Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Can ya believe it?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Can ya believe it?
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
Finally...FINALLY!...got to the range. Don't ask how long it's been... ^j)
I was a man on a mission; I had two guns I've been itching to try:

1) The 1860 Army I bought from Tom-ADC and had 'Goonerized'
2) The 2nd Dragoon, 'Joaquin Murietta' that I got from Krylandalian and also had 'Goonerized'.

Both functioned...to a point...and came back in one piece.

1860: Stayed rock solid, but I wasn't shooting paper and could not ring the gong at 25 more than 3 times in a row. Not sure why. Possibly because the shooter hasn't shot BP for longer than he cares to discuss, but I let my buddy Steve shoot it and he did worse. I suppose since I didn't shoot paper I got nothing to bitch about. The loading lever is stiffer than a sailor after a night on the town and the palm of my hand hurts like hell as a result.

2nd Dragoon: Also couldn't stay consistent. Shots were all over the place. Tried some Lee 200gr conicals, the Dragoon did not like to load them an in fact totally squashed two of them beyond use due to cocking them sideways. Dropped the loading lever on every single shot like clockwork, even with 45gr and .454 RB's. Out of each cylinder full, two chambers were 1st time misfires every time, but fired the second time around. Probably needs a new set of nipples.

Both guns have the Goon cap rake, and while neither experienced a cap frag jam, the rake did allow the spent caps to deposit themselves nicely between the cylinder and recoil shield, making it a mother to rotate, several times requiring assistance. Not a knock on the cap rake by any means (or Goon's work, for that matter) but just sayin', if a Colt don't eat caps it's gonna spit 'em out and you might not like where they go.

Today was definitely not a comparative evaluation by any means, more just a 'test run' to see how they function. And they did, for the most part. I used up the tail end of a can of RS in my Lyman Trade Rifle with a price sticker on the lid; "$12.95"...good grief, you know how old THAT'S gotta be? Went off without a hitch. The Pyro P I shot today was at least 4 years old, no issues.
All in all...beautiful weather, relaxed no-pressure shooting...what more could you ask?
Now if you'll 'scuze me, I gots some guns ta clean...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Can ya believe it?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:08:17 AM »
My dragoon will drop the lever every time with 50 grains and consistently drop it every other shot with 40 grains. ???
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
Good for you Capt.    I figured you had given up by now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »
Hi Kirk, glad to know you finally got out to shoot some BP. Maybe it's time to invest in a loading tool like the Tower of Power? People that have a natural ability to accurately shoot handguns is very rare. Most of us must keep up regular practice to shoot a handgun well. Making noise and smoke is fun, but hitting the target is even more fun. If I don't shoot regularly, my accuracy goes to shit, I need to shoot at lease every week or lose that muscle memory handgun shooting skill. Having sights that shoot poi=poa also helps, but there isn't anything better than practice.

While you can't get out to range often, get out in the yard with your pellet handgun for regular practice. I'm getting back into pellet handguns again to complement my .22 shooting in the basement with little noise as winter rolls in. My cats don't like the .22 report, but the pellet gun report doesn't seem to bother them.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
Richard, good point. I keep forgetting get about my pellet pistol for practice. I need to set up a trap in the basement again.