Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cabalas sold to Bass Pro  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Cabalas sold to Bass Pro
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
I received a notice from Cabelas , that their credit card division was sold to Capital One.
Verified , on line, that yep deal is done, Bass Pro now owns Cabelas.
I wonder if black poweder guns will be "on sale" much anymore. Also if Cabelas will be operated
totally devoid of Bass influence , that is probably unlikely.
Oh well ....... businesses march along. Time for me to support Mom and Pawp stores.
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: Cabalas sold to Bass Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
Depends on how much revenue black powder products were generating. I doubt Bass Pro would walk away from a profitable department but it all depends on how they consolidate IT, buying, planning, and allocation departments. I been there and done this in a few retail chains
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
The stores have totally different footprints and serve different segments of the outdoor market, I'd expect them to run the brands separately, but who knows.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
I worked for a women's clothing chain and we bought a men's clothing chain with a completely different demographic customer and we combined them. It is where the savings is

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »
I received the notice about credit cards etc. months ago.   Cabelas has been in transition since June.   Nothing much has changed yet but that  doesn't mean it won't happen.   I don't patronize either one very much.   

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »
i bought my first C&B gun as bass pro in MD... brasser bison remington... they no longer sell C&B revolver in any bass pro or online... i would expect cabelas to go the same route since bass pro is only 2A friendly when it profits them... i guess all my C&B guns will be from taylors from here out...

l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
I've been trying to do some digging to see what all they have planned for this merger. Found this helpful link: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/together-faqs?cm_sp=CblAqFAQsSep2017_CFM

Of course, since that is written by Bass Pro Corporate it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but from what I'm seeing, their intent for now is to keep Bass Pro and Cabelas as separate entities brand wise up to and including keeping their websites separate.

They mention "wanting to keep the best of both stores exclusive products" so we can hope that means Cabelas keeping C & B revolvers. I think they will since they are a popular product Cabelas wise.

Take all of that with a grain of salt though, since post-merger is a real rocky time, companies will say just about anything to keep shareholders happy and confident. It could always be a Camping World type situation where their slimy CEO talked a big game pre-merger then whipped out his budget slashing shears the second he got a hold of Gander Mtn.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
Bass Pro is privately held and the founder is the largest shareholder so no need to double speak. It could be his method to branch out into lines they don't carry without starting a competition but by buying into it

They also host a NRA museum in one of their stores

You can read the history here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Pro_Shops

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »
Bass Pro is privately held and the founder is the largest shareholder so no need to double speak. It could be his method to branch out into lines they don't carry without starting a competition but by buying into it

They also host a NRA museum in one of their stores

You can read the history here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Pro_Shops

True, I forgot they finalized the purchase of the Cabela's shares on 9/25. For some reason I thought CAB was still being traded. With the online sites staying separate I'm assuming they mean what they say about keeping the stores apart. Usually the sites merge first well before the stores merge together.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
Often what merges is completely behind the scenes. HR, finance, buying, planning, allocation, legal, all the other support departments you never see but it takes to run a corporate office

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
My initial impression is that they will not be carrying as much in their hunting/shooting lines.  I have been checking the on line catalog for reloading and BP items and have found the selection to be diminishing daily.   
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline tpelle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
I wondered how long Cabela's could keep going on the path they were on.  They were building new "brick and mortar" stores all over - sometimes having more than one in a single metropolitan area.  And they were palaces of stores.  Neat to visit, but they had to be very expensive to build, staff, and operate.  Unfortunately, today it's all about Internet Fulfillment.  All you need is a web page with nice photos and good product descriptions, and an easy and convenient e-commerce site.  You don't really even need a warehouse to ship from - somebody else does that for you behind-the-scenes.  Literally you could run something akin to Cabela's internet business out of a spare bedroom in your house!