Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Schofield #3  (Read 5953 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Schofield #3
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:36 PM »
I won this gun on an auction last week. The guy said it is unused and I see no reason to dispute that. He bought it to go with a costume. Didn't come with a box or papers, though the user manual is easy enough to find on the 'net.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Schofield #3
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
Shown open with cartridges

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »
And my two newest toys:
/

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
Nice!  L@.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
Like them both, but really fond of the Schofield!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »
How do the 'cartridges' work?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 04:48:53 AM »
Hi, this video suggests that a replacement barrel can be used on the Schofield pellet revolver:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
How do the 'cartridges' work?
On the Schofield, the BBs are inserted into the nose of the cartridge. On the 1875 you can shoot either BBs or pellets by putting them in the base of the cartridge, which is then inserted into the cylinder. The barrels are spring loaded, putting pressure on the cartridge, making for a good seal.
Hi, the Schofield is on sale at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/533201/bear-river-outdoors-schofield-3-revolver-7-barrel-air-pistol-177-caliber-bb

I ordered one for $89.

Regards,
Richard
Midway also has about the best price for extra cartridges.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 09:45:05 AM by mazo kid »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »

Midway also has about the best price for extra cartridges.

Hi mazo, I don't think that Midway USA carries the cartridges for pellets to be used with the Schofield. The only cartridges they carry for the Bear River Schofield are the BB cartridges. Amazon has the pellet cartridges:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3SOZZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered lead BBs to be used with the BB cartridges:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3SOZZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I use a steel bullet trap in my basement, I don't want to use steel BBs because of the chance of ricochet.

The Bear River Schofield I ordered from Midway USA is due to arrive next Wednesday.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
Hi, my Bear River Schofield #3 arrived today. Put in a CO2 cylinder and fired a couple of dozen BBs. The revolver is much more accurate than expected since it has a smooth bore barrel. The new revolver:

This a very nice replica of the Schofield #3.

I will now check on how to remove the barrel and replace it with a rifled barrel.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
Hi, the barrel has been pulled from the Bear River Schofield #3, see:

The main barrel has a taper from the breech to the muzzle. The frame barrel internal has a slight taper from breech to muzzle. I found that a Crosman .177 rifled barrel is a good fit at at the breech. Some machining of that Crosman .177 barrel should be able to replace the Bear River barrel.

Today I tested the accuracy of the Bear River Schofield using lead BBs. The group from 30 feet was ~5", I want to puke. I have a long o.437 ream that can be used to ream the main cast barrel to accept the Crosman .177 barrel.

Notice that the BB barrel has a spring at the muzzle to have the barrel at the breech push against the cylinder. I'm not sure if I want a free floating barrel or simply epoxy the rifled barrel to the main cast barrel.

More to come.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:10 AM »
Hi, the more I study the barrel mounting system of the Bear River Schofield #3, the more I'm impressed with the innovative design that has the total gas path well sealed. If I replace the barrel assembly with a solid rifled barrel, there will be cylinder/barrel gap to deal with. The revolver was reassembled  and tested for accuracy with different projectiles.

Shooting from 10yds from a rest:
Using lead BBs produce groups of ~5"
Using copper coated lead BBs produced groups of ~4"
Using lead .177 pellets with the pellet shells produced groups of ~4"
Steel BBs did the best with ~1" groups, but there was always a flyer of 1 shot out of 6 shots ~4" from the main group.

All the large groups are low and to the left. The small groups are right on in elevation, but 1/4" to the left.

The more I think about this BB gun, the more I'm convinced to just leave it alone, it is what it is, and use steel BBs for tin can plinking in the yard.

Those Crosman 2240s spoiled me with their accuracy of touching hole groups from 10yds.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »
Richard, thanks for your report. I know you are an accuracy fanatic, but I too feel the gun should just be used as is.