Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What is Old Silver finish?  (Read 13981 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
What is Old Silver finish?
« on: December 27, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »
Hi, decided to take advantage of Cabelas $50 off and free shipping to order a Pietta 1851 finished in what they call "Old Silver", see:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/PIETTA-OLD-SILVER-CAL-BP-REVOLVER/2349777.uts?slotId=2

I have no idea on what "Old Silver" finish is. Some report it is just polished steel, other's suggest nickel finish.

Does anyone know exactly what the "Old Silver" finish is?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What is Old Silver finish?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:46 AM »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:26:45 AM »
Hi Hawg, thanks for the link. What I don't understand is why it cost ~$50 more than the blued 1851, it doesn't make sense if the metal is just bare steel. I have a hunch that it's a nickel finish. I have an engraved Uberti 1851 where the frame was said to be bare steel, but testing showed it a nickel plate.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
I believe it's what they (the metal finishers of the WW1- WW2 era) called a "pickled" treatment. It's a rust resistant (not rust proof!) , fairly durable finish. The examples I've worked on seem to be very well appointed. The trigger guard is from the cartridge revolver line. They have all been excellent platforms for tuning!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Hi Mike, thanks for the information. Sounds like a nice revolver to work on and shoot. The 1851 Pietta's I own have been excellent platforms to build shooters that can wack flies at 25yds. As you suggest, all these low cost BP replicas can use some work. I'm glad that you are there to help others to create a precision firearm. A very happy and prosperous New Year to you.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
I wonder if maybe they have a higher level of polishing than the regular blue/CCH models? Or maybe they are chrome plated? 

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
Thanks Richard! Hope Santa was good to you and yours and wish you a Happy New Year as well!!

L.P. they have a pretty good shine to them but it's definitely not a chrome or nickle. It's pretty much a bare metal look but has been treated against corrosion which is basically what the old "pickling" process was/is.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Hi, I intend to test the "Old Silver" finish for nickel. I ordered this Nickel Alert test kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1J9FSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This a video of doing a test for nickel:

This will also let me test my New England Collectors 1851 frame for nickel:

(LeatherSmithMike's photo)

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1851 Old Sliver arrived today. The fit and finish is perfect, it couldn't be any better. Barrel/cylinder gap 0.0045". The revolver was taken down to inspect the internals, perfect. A reduced power spring was installed and the hand shortened a couple thousands to have the .38 Colt/Special conversion cylinders operate properly. Both the Pietta 1851 and in the white Uberti 1851 frame were tested for nickel. The results for nickel are negative. An ohm meter was used to test if the finish was some epoxy clear coat, also negative. I still don't know what the finish of Old Silver is and emailed Pietta. Waiting for their reply.

The new Pietta 1851 Old Silver revolver:

The backstrap and trigger guard are steel, the fit and finish perfect, this Pietta revolver shouts perfection.

I only wish they would put the marking under the barrel like Uberti.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
Dang, Richard...one good lookin' pistola!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Eric Deaton

• Modern Colt Blackpowder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
Reminds me of the second gen Colt stainless revolvers.
“Collecting Modern Colt Blackpowder Revolvers” author

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »
That really looks great Richard. 

I'd love to see that in a squareback version also. 

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:22 PM »
It looks like bare steel polished to a satin finish.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:16:17 AM »
Hi Hawg, I think you nailed the finish, bare polished steel. I put some Brownell's Oxpho Blue on the recoil shield of the revolver, it blued immediately just like bare steel. I took some vinegar followed with Flitz polish to remove the bluing. I suspect that the revolver will patina with use to look like an old revolver. The original Colt charcoal bluing was thin that wore easily and turned grey with time. This revolver may be a good candidate for antiquing.

I received a reply from Pietta that they will answer my finish question after they return from Christmas vacation, 01/08. 

I did find one minor issue with this revolver. When putting ant-seize on the nipple threads, there were two nipples that were not fully installed and could be removed with finger pressure. The other nipples were only lightly seated.

I'm considering adding a taller dovetail front sight, but since I already have dialed in 1851 shooters, why? Maybe just leave the revolver stock makes the most sense? 

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »
Hi, well I didn't leave the front sight alone and installed a tall dovetail front sight. The Old Silver with dovetail front sight:

The front sight will be filed down on the range to have poi=poa @25yds using 38 Colt/Special conversion cylinders.

Notice on the first photo near the rear of the barrel above the wedge a slight darkening? That's just from my handling the barrel doing the dovetail. I'm thinking of giving this revolver an antique finish using mustard. Any thoughts or references to doing antiquing?

Regards,
Richard