Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What is Old Silver finish?  (Read 13980 times)

Offline Len

• View Profile
Re: What is Old Silver finish?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:04 AM »
Nice !!! Envy, envy .....

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
Hi Len, notice that the background table cloth for the photos was replaced with a more inert pattern?  (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
Hi Len, notice that the background table cloth for the photos was replaced with a more inert pattern?  (7+"

Regards,
Richard
Yes Rick, I noticed. And it made all the difference. Thanks !!! By the way, Mrs said it was a nice pattern for the kitchen curtains

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »
Hey Richard,

If it's changing color in that one area just from some handling I might just keep handling it. 

I have done the mustard trick before and the results were ok, if I was going to do it again I'd probably leave the mustard on it to "bake" for a longer period of time.  If memory serves I left it on 6-8 hrs.  I'd probably go a few days doing it again.

Whip

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
So this gun has a much higher level of polish than a regular Pietta?

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
 Richard ... nice job on the dovetail. Machine or done by hand?

On the finish ... my fav is a vinegar finish. Iv got a TC renegade that i refinished with the vinegar and really like it. Its my third gun to receive this finish. Gonna do my little pietta 61 sheriff next.
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 04:47:40 AM »
So this gun has a much higher level of polish than a regular Pietta?

Hi Lonesome, yes, Old Sliver it's a mirror finish.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »
Richard ... nice job on the dovetail. Machine or done by hand?

Hi bigted, I use a jig and files to make the dovetails. This jig has been used to produce 17 dovetails so far and the jig shows no wear. I had a nice write-up on this tool, but the photos are gone that were hosted on PhotoBucket. I relocated those photos on my computer and modified my post to add the photos, see:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,1580.msg15021.html#msg15021

I also bought a "safe" file from the vendor that sells the jig. The file I use to flair out the bottom of the dovetail after most of the barrel metal is removed is the Nicholson 21736N. I use a new Nicholson file for each new dovetail.

Each dovetail made with the jig gets easier and faster, the Old silver was done in less than 1/2 hour. I don't even use tape on the barrel anymore, just soft jaws on my vise. With all the dovetails done so far, I have never scratched a barrel.

Some people can do a dovetail freehand, but I won't risk it and I like it that all my dovetails have the same dimensions.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:13 AM »
Hi, Pietta answered me back. They said that the Old Silver finish is "white hardened steel".

After checking out a number of antiquing methods I have decided to just let the Old Silver 1851 age naturally.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
Good idea. A natural aged patina is a good look on any percussion revolver IMHO.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
That is cool it has a high polish. I would consider buying one and sending it out for bone charcoal color case hardening and bluing.

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
Great looking pistol, nice pickup Richard!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
That is cool it has a high polish. I would consider buying one and sending it out for bone charcoal color case hardening and bluing.

Hi Lonesome, since I have Brownell's nitre bluing salts I did consider doing a nitre finish. However, I would want to practice on a beat-up revolver first. I will watch how the Old Silver finish wears with time and shooting before doing anything to it.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:09:28 PM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 05:52:05 AM »
Hi, well I didn't leave the front sight alone and installed a tall dovetail front sight. The Old Silver with dovetail front sight:

The front sight will be filed down on the range to have poi=poa @25yds using 38 Colt/Special conversion cylinders.

Notice on the first photo near the rear of the barrel above the wedge a slight darkening? That's just from my handling the barrel doing the dovetail. I'm thinking of giving this revolver an antique finish using mustard. Any thoughts or references to doing antiquing?

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the Pietta 1851 Old Silver with tall dovetail sight was sighted using 38 Special conversion cylinder in to have poi=poa @25yds. The sighted in Old Silver:

These Pietta revolvers with steel backstrap and steel trigger guard all have the 1873 SAA style of grip, no Pietta tail.

Regards,
Richard

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »
Is the revolver simply a London model finished in the white?