Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What is Old Silver finish?  (Read 13979 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: What is Old Silver finish?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »
Is the revolver simply a London model finished in the white?

Hi wicket, it seems to be, but Pietta says that the Old Silver is also hardened steel that is highly polished.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
  Hi Richard. I wonder what Pietta means by "hardened" steel. I was under the impression that they used ordinary machine steel in their revolvers, and that the low carbon content prevented hardening the steel to any great degree other than by case hardening.

Wicket

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 04:07:32 AM »
Hi wicket, I am also confused by Pietta's definition. Maybe it is some type of chemical surface hardening?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
  Some sort of case hardening makes sense to me Richard. I can't see Pietta buying a steel capable of being hardened simply to support a finish. Actually I'm amazed they even bother with fancy finishes and fantasy guns, Pietta actually needs to focus on launching a buy-back program to get the tailed navies out of circulation and replace them with something closer to the Uberti grip.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
Some of the original Confederate .36 caliber revolvers have a grip shape that looks closer to the Pietta "tail" version to me. I much prefer the new Pietta grip shape on an 1851 Navy but I think the "tail" version looks good on the Confederate revolvers.

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
Lonesome...

I heard that Pietta had gotten rid of the tail on its more recent revolvers, but have yet to run across one. I received a Uberti '51 last Christmas, and like the grip very much. I'm working the doting father grift on my youngest son hoping for another Uberti this coming Christmas. )lI

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »
Lonesome...I heard that Pietta had gotten rid of the tail on its more recent revolvers, but have yet to run across one. I received a Uberti '51 last Christmas, and like the grip very much. I'm working the doting father grift on my youngest son hoping for another Uberti this coming Christmas. )

Pietta ceased manufacturing the dreaded (by some) "tail" grip profile 1851 Navy after 2014 (manufacturer date code CM) and in 2015 (CN) and later models used the newer profile.

I find it funny that some feel that there is a Colt "standard" grip profile for 1851 Navy pistols. In your dreams. Get access to a copy of Nathan L. Swayze's " ''51Colt Navies" (1967) and have a look for yourself at the different grip shapes that were produced originally at the factory. Some of you repro "purists" will be absolutely be appalled.

Any of you folks that hate the "tail" grip profile, go to VTI and order the new style 3-piece (backstrap/wood/trigger guard) replacements and send me your tail discards. I will gladly accept them. They are history and no longer made.

I will gladly reimburse anyone for shipping if you send them in a small USPS "if ii fits it ships" box. Once I receive them a USPS money order will be immediately in the mail if I have a good mailing address for you.

I just want to take possession of your unwanted parts before you toss them away.

A 2014 (CM) tail:

A 2015 (CN) G&G non tail.

Your call.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo