Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pocket Navy, also cheap  (Read 6825 times)

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Navy, also cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:59 PM »
Hi Dave, I tried to buy Uberti 5.5" 1862, but Midway won't ship to NYS:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/419681/uberti-1862-pocket-navy-black-powder-revolver-36-caliber-55-barrel-steel-frame-blue

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
Hi Dave, the on-sale 5.5" Uberti 1862 is now out of stock. However, I did order the 6.5" Uberti from Midway. $140 off is a great deal. One of our members was kind enough to allow me ship the revolver to him and then reship the revolver to me. That got around Midway not shipping to NYS.

I will soon have a brace of Uberti 6.5" 1862 Navy revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 03:34:54 AM »
Six left at clearance price as of this a.m.
Midway also giving free shipping at this time.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:32:30 AM »
Hi Dave, I wonder where they found them. An hour after I ordered mine they showed none available at the sales price.

Not to let that great deal go by, I ordered another 1862 Navy. I intend on nitre bluing that revolver, a project to keep me occupied.

BTW, I was so pleased to order another at $210 that I forgot to take advantage of the free shipping, me bad.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:43:34 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:14:23 AM »
Hi, just for grins I used an inflation calculator to determine the inflation of an !862 colt that cost $11.50 in 1863. The inflation would cost today ~$280. The Uberti 1862 Navy at $210 is a great deal.

I wish I had bought up all the remaining 1862s that were on sale at Micway use for $210, just for an investment.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
Managed to limit myself to only one.  There are some bad influences on here.  :)

Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »
Hi, I ordered two on-sale Uberti 1862s. One is to be used for display in my living room. The second was going to be used to do a nitre blue job on the revolver. However, the more I think about it, the more I feel its a sin to destroy a perfectly good Uberti bluing job. The second revolver may be better used as a Christmas gift for my son-in-law.

It would be nice if I could find a basket case revolver to experiment with different bluing methods.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
Richard, I just received a Dixie Gun Works flyer. In it they have a Pietta brass framed .36 caliber 1851 Navy kit for $180. According to the description the kit version has a non-engraved cylinder so it's basically a Schnieder & Glassick. For $180 it might be good for your bluing experiments plus you would have a new Confederate revolver.

Kit number is RV0200

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »
Hi Lonesome, thanks for the heads-up, it looks like a nice candidate for bluing experiments.

I ordered one:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8666/product_name/RV0200+Dixie+Pietta+1851+Navy+Brass+Frame+Revolver+Kit

It should be a nice project for this winter. I will nitre blue the steel parts of revolver.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:59:18 AM by ssb73q »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Congrats, Richard. I bet that will be a fun project!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
Hi Lonesome, thanks for the heads-up, it looks like a nice candidate for bluing experiments.

I ordered one:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8666/product_name/RV0200+Dixie+Pietta+1851+Navy+Brass+Frame+Revolver+Kit

It should be a nice project for this winter. I will nitre blue the steel parts of revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Lonesome, the Pietta 1851 Navy kit arrived today. This was supposed to be my project gun on doing nitre bluing, but the revolver already has a gorgeous blue barrel and cylinder, not in the white. It would be a sin to destroy that original bluing. The last project I need in this world is to do brass cleanup and polishing so this revolver will be used for spare parts if ever needed. The action is excellent as is the timing. The ugly brass 1851:

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 05:14:14 PM »
That is a truly ugly frame. I can understand tool marks on a kit frame, but what is that?
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:47 AM »
Hi sourdough, yeah, that is one of the ugliest revolvers I have ever seen. However, as ugly as it is, those rough spots are raised brass on the casting that would be very easy to remove. Maybe some day when I'm bored to death I will turn that revolver into something more creditable.

I am impressed on how well is the action and timing. The bluing of the steel is perfect. 

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Richard, you have the makin's there of a S&G replica. I say go for it in your typical gung-ho fashion.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"