Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Uberti Navy  (Read 8537 times)

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Uberti Navy
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:58 AM »
Cold weather has mostly kept us inside, doing mods and otherwise getting ready for spring shooting season.But Sunday was 50° F and lots of sunshine so to the range!

Did some work on my Uberti 1851 and wanted to see how they performed.  Corrected arbor via Pettifogger method and installed cap post.

This was my time first shooting a gun with a cap post.  I know some folks love 'em and others won't have 'em, but I had to try for myself.  First six loaded with 20gr Fffg Old Eyn., Rem 11, and .380 buckshot.  One of the spent caps didn't want to go into the cap gutter on right recoil shield when gingerly cocking piece.  Vigorously thumbing back the hammer gave no troubles. So far so good so up to 25 grains for the next four cylinders full.

This is pretty close to a full load.  Note my 25 grain measure.

Bet you didn't realize Winchester and Remington make millions of cap and ball powder measures every year?

Bit of history.  Acquired this '51 last summer, lightly used.  Took it to Friendship bone stock.  It would occasionally try to ingest caps but was really accurate, even with short arbor.  I loaned it to a gentleman who won his class in the Open Top match; he liked it so much he also shot and won class in the Re-entry match, which is open to target sighted guns as well.  So I wanted to extend it's life and user friendliness.  Hence the arbor mod and cap post.  Next is reduced power bolt spring.

The post.

Uberti navy's have a deeper slot for safety pin than Pietta's so I really didn't have to cut on hammer.

30 rounds, no gap ingestition; it appears to work.  Gun was a little sticky to break free when cocking after those but not bad.  Retired satisfied.   :)
Firing seated the new engagement, and after cleanup it has a 0.007" cylinder gap.   

Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Uberti Navy
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »
That’s a good report and informative photos.  Thanks.  Clean Navies are fine but when they get smoked up they look even better.

Do you plan to take metal off the existing trigger/bolt return spring to lighten it or will you install one of the wire type like the one below?

Next is reduced power bolt spring.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
Hi Dave, thanks for your shooting report. How much higher did the revolver print compared to the poa?

I use the reduced power hammer spring on all my BP revolvers, but you will need to use Remington caps for 100% ignition with the reduced power spring. CCI caps sometimes need two hit to ignite.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »
I have two revolvers ('60 Army and 2nd Dragoon) with 'Goon installed cap rakes (posts) and I like them just fine. Much more so than a #$&%*! cap frag jam. And they are not visible unless the hammer is cocked.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »

Do you plan to take metal off the existing trigger/bolt return spring to lighten it or will you install one of the wire type like the one below?

I will be buying.  To date, I break bolt springs and not hand springs.  Got a '60 sitting idle that  needs a donor spring.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
How much higher did the revolver print compared to the poa?

I use the reduced power hammer spring on all my BP revolvers, but you will need to use Remington caps for 100% ignition with the reduced power spring. CCI caps sometimes need two hit to ignite.

Regards,
Richard

I wasn't doing accuracy testing, mostly seeing if the post works.  Still shoots several inches high at 25 and 50 yards.
I'm leaving mainspring as is.  The recent Uberti mainsprings are already reduced from what they were and can yield very good trigger pulls.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
What are the market options on return spring replacements?  Are they all the wire type or are there lighter leaf spring configs for C&B available too? 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
Wolff lists both.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:09 AM »
Hi Dave, you mention that you used 0.380" buckshot balls? I also use Ballistics Products 0.380" buckshot, but they are hardened lead. Loading with a small on-the-gun loading lever is very difficult. They are also very tough on my Tower of Power loading tool loading off the gun. So as to not destroy my Tower of Power, I use an arbor press for the buckshot, see:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068U7QS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you load buckshot on the gun, how do you do it?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 06:10:25 AM »
I use a stand, put one hand on the barrel and the other on the lever.  Kinda pull hands apart as well as pushing down.  Takes firm pressure but doesn't seem undue.

Richard, are you running Pietta or Uberti?  I had a Pietta 1851, and it had smaller chambers than this Uberti.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
I have two revolvers ('60 Army and 2nd Dragoon) with 'Goon installed cap rakes (posts) and I like them just fine. Much more so than a #$&%*! cap frag jam. And they are not visible unless the hammer is cocked.

What are the fancy grips in the background connected to?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »

Richard, are you running Pietta or Uberti?  I had a Pietta 1851, and it had smaller chambers than this Uberti.

Hi Dave, good point! I have 10 extra cylinders that I preload for my Pietta 1851s. You are correct that the chambers of the Pietta 1851 is smaller than the Uberti. That may make all the difference in the world.

I also cast pure lead 0.380" balls and conicals for loading on the revolver.

The Uberti 1862 Police has the creeping loading lever that probably works better than the linked loading lever of my Uberti 1862 Navy revolvers.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
What are the fancy grips in the background connected to?

That's a book jacket, Hawg. COLT, An American Legend/RL Wilson
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
I was going to respond, but Kirk got here first. I have that same book, along with 3 others he authored.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
Before he went to prison.  I've got that book too.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!