Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A couple new toys  (Read 2210 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
A couple new toys
« on: February 09, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
Made a trade yesterday for these two revolvers.
A Pietta 1851 Navy made in 1996 (BH).  Pretty much your average '51 in correct caliber and unfired.  Not much to say about it, the '51 Navy speaks for itself.

The other is a 3rd model Dragoon produced by Cimmaron/Uberti in 1999 (BM).   This one has some type of antique finish that may have been done by Cimmaron.  I'm not sure about that but the revolver still had lots of that brown sludge/packing grease/oily stuff that the Italians used to ship their guns in.  This is one of the sneaky Colt marked revolvers that the Italian manufacturers tried to get away with for a while.   It has a "Colt" marked barrel and frame.   Thing is "Colt" is spelled Cotl, and the address is "Ney Work City".   I find that amusing so I went ahead and made the deal.   I already have a 2nd model Dragoon so the 3rd model will be an easy fit with the collection.

Both revolvers

Barrel address

Frame stamping

Under the loading lever.

I had done some leatherwork for the previous owner of these two guns, and he owed me $300.  He agreed to call it even for the two revolvers.   I think I came out OK.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: A couple new toys
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
That's a great deal. I'm not sure how I feel about the intentionally misspelled markings. Certainly not a deal breaker, it's just kind of silly. I think some people would view it as a plus because it makes it more collectible.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: A couple new toys
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:39:59 AM »
The "Cotl Ney Work" roll stamp was used by Cimmaron on a few of their revolvers. I have a pair of them 1862 Police original finish 5 /12" barrels from what they told me I think they made less than a dozen 1862's stamped like that. I actually like them because as was said they are different and a bit silly and try to watch for them.
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com