Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta screws  (Read 6419 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Pietta screws
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
Hi mazo, those hardening compounds will leave a surface that looks like case hardened, ugly compared to fire blued screws. Follow Mike's method for a good looking flame hardened screw. 

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »
Thanks Richard!

It's not too big of a job  and the payoff is a much better feel and life of the tuning of the action. Soft screws will allow the "tuned" action to loose it's "tuning"  on a very accelerated rate. The biggest factor as far as wear is concerned is the overly tensioned springs.

When coloring the screws, I don't worry about the color itself, just as long as it's between plum and denim. I'm sortta partial to the plum myself, it matches the grips which gives a little "flare"  to the overall look. It's become a little bit of a "calling card" for me.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
Mike:

What is your process to batch process a revolver's worth of screws that allows relatively uniform heating of each once before batch quenching in oil? GF

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
Hi, you can use nitre bluing salts to have a batch of any similar steel to have exactly the same color. See:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2724.msg27590.html#msg27590

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!