Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1849 tuning video  (Read 4086 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
1849 tuning video
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:51 AM »
Hi, a new duelist1954 1849 tuning video, part 1:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1849 tuning video
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
Hi, if you need to buy all the tools shown in the video you could spend over $150. If you only have one 1849 you could send it to Mike for a better result.  )l_

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
My WF I got the other month had almost nothing tightened down; screws and cones all came out with almost no torque.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
Hi Dave, while most all my recent Uberti's have gone down in quality, the newer Pietta's have been approaching perfection. It used to be the other way around. All Uberti replicas need the arbor length fix and the small framed Uberti's have issues reinserting the hand in the frame. I use a small screwdriver to compress the hand spring to install the Uberti hand. I ordered all the tools used by Mike in his video to see if I can smooth out the internals of my Uberti small frames.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
Looks like Mikey has a messy work bench, like mine.   ^j)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:46:01 PM »
Another good vid, thanks ssb.  MB has recommended the Brownell’s S&W hand channel file in past videos.  It’s a handy tool.  I learned a new term: “chatter”.  I’ve just called those ruffles or milling marks in the area of the hammer channel.  I like proper nomenclature.  It helps this non-shop guy get his little mind around some of this stuff. 

I agree that Pietta has come a long long ways in quality.  Some like Fords, some like Chevys - I like Pie-eddies.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
I wonder if some issues are related to tooling or machinery parts. The manufacturer may be doing everything the same but as the tooling or machinery wears out it affects quality of the end product. When the manufacturer replaces the worn out parts the guns get better. I don't know, it seems plausible.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
I learned a new term: “chatter”.  I’ve just called those ruffles or milling marks in the area of the hammer channel.  I like proper nomenclature.  It helps this non-shop guy get his little mind around some of this stuff. 
There's a difference between normal cutter marks and chatter marks. Chatter is what you'll see if the cutter and or part starts a harmonic vibration. It's normally caused by lack of  set up rigidity or too high a cutter speed, and is accompanied by a squealing noise.
   Probably what MB was seeing was just some coarse but normal cutter marks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:41:55 PM by Yolla Bolly Brad »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »
Richard, thanks for the mention!  :)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 05:10:26 AM »
Hi, video, part 2:

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »
Hi, I found a reasonably priced equaling file at Amazon, see:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H1U1NS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's nice is that it has one safe edge.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »
Hi, doing BP revolver videos is a gift to us BP revolver sponges, but I have noticed a few obvious things seen many times in MB videos. The first is that many of his BP revolvers are never in time. The second is that he makes modifications much more difficult than necessary, his dovetails an example. Even with the 1849 tune up there a few monkey motions not necessary and he doesn't address the critical arbor length issue. His 1849 hammer hitting the frame IMO is in part from him narrowing the hammer screw by polishing and an over thick bolt legs.

Don't get me wrong, it's always too easy to criticize, but I always enjoy seeing MB videos. MB supplies a very useful introduction to the wannabe amateur gunsmith.

Regards,
Richard   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »
Hi, just in case you didn't know how to disassemble the Colt 1849, here you go:

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »
Hi, it's hard to believe, but there are no cap jams in this 1849 shooting video:

Regards,
Richard