Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Questions regarding 45LC  (Read 3768 times)

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
Questions regarding 45LC
« on: April 18, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
Now that I'm over 100 posts, figured I'd start a topic, and hopefully get a question answered while I'm at it.

While back I saw a guy whose SASS rig included a Pietta 1860, and a drop in conversion cylinder of unknown origin. At the time he was shooting Federal brand .45 LC.

Now my question is, I've seen a lot of people recommending Trail Boss for their 45's when in comes to reloading, but is off the shelf, smokeless .45LC dangerous to use in a conversion cylinder; or lacking danger, is it just bad for the gun itself?

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding 45LC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »
Trail Boss was designed for cowboy action shooting. It's the powder you need for shooting with the conversion cylinders.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
When it comes to factory ammo in conversion cylinders you have to know the velocity of the loads you are using and the recommendations of the manufacturer of the conversion cylinder.   As long as the factory ammo is within the recommendations of the conversion cylinder manufacturer you are good to go.   Somewhere between 800 fps and 1000 fps is what you will find but you need to read the manufacturers recommendation.
It's also smart to pay attention to what type of bullets the factory ammo is loaded with.   Jacketed bullets are a bad idea when used in BP reproduction barrels.   Softer is better when it comes to BP projectiles but they don't have to be pure lead.

There is facory loaded ammo available that is safe for use in conversion cylinders but you need to do the research to know which ones will work.
I believe TenX ammunition makes cowboy loads that are approved for conversion cylinders.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
Hi val, I have used TrailBoss for reloading .45 Colt for conversion cylinders, but have since move to the cleaner burning BA-10. See:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,1323.msg11589.html#msg11589

There is a lot of info in that thread.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
When it comes to factory ammo in conversion cylinders you have to know the velocity of the loads you are using and the recommendations of the manufacturer of the conversion cylinder.   As long as the factory ammo is within the recommendations of the conversion cylinder manufacturer you are good to go.   Somewhere between 800 fps and 1000 fps is what you will find but you need to read the manufacturers recommendation.
It's also smart to pay attention to what type of bullets the factory ammo is loaded with.   Jacketed bullets are a bad idea when used in BP reproduction barrels.   Softer is better when it comes to BP projectiles but they don't have to be pure lead.

There is facory loaded ammo available that is safe for use in conversion cylinders but you need to do the research to know which ones will work.
I believe TenX ammunition makes cowboy loads that are approved for conversion cylinders.

Thanks Mike! I looked up the velocity of the Federal American Eagle he was using, 860FPS so that falls right in velocity wise. They were definitely jacketed, so I'll keep that in mind if I see that 1860 up for sale at any point.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
There is a lead semi-wad Federal load available, also in the ~850 fps range:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001487331/federal-champion-ammunition-45-colt-long-colt-225-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-box-of-20

I too find trailboss to be "unfortunate" for my purposes - specifically I do not care for how it meters or the rapid pressure spike it delivers, per pressure tests I have found online.

The point of using Lead vs Jacketed is generally to keep pressures under control - most hollow-point jacketed loads are somewhat warm.

from the latest Lyman reloading book ( which shows some pressure data)  we can find the loads for jacketed bullets using  true-blue powder produces 11,000 cup - 13,800 cup

whereas a similar soft lead load at the same velocities produces 9,800 cup - 11,000 cup.

generally speaking, the conversion cylinder is the strongest part, for the sake of the rest of the BP revolver it is good to keep things
at or under ~ 12,000 cup

hope this helps

prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:34 AM »
There is a lead semi-wad Federal load available, also in the ~850 fps range:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001487331/federal-champion-ammunition-45-colt-long-colt-225-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-box-of-20

I too find trailboss to be "unfortunate" for my purposes - specifically I do not care for how it meters or the rapid pressure spike it delivers, per pressure tests I have found online.

The point of using Lead vs Jacketed is generally to keep pressures under control - most hollow-point jacketed loads are somewhat warm.

from the latest Lyman reloading book ( which shows some pressure data)  we can find the loads for jacketed bullets using  true-blue powder produces 11,000 cup - 13,800 cup

whereas a similar soft lead load at the same velocities produces 9,800 cup - 11,000 cup.

generally speaking, the conversion cylinder is the strongest part, for the sake of the rest of the BP revolver it is good to keep things
at or under ~ 12,000 cup

hope this helps

prof marvel

Thanks Professor! I really appreciate the detailed info. Also glad to know that I won't be stuck having to learn re-loading trail boss if I want to purchase a converted 1860 one of these days.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »
Happy to be of service, Val

If one is shooting out-of-doors, it is dirt simple to reload Black, Pyro, APP, or Black MZ -

one dumps a scoop* of powder into the shell, and seat the lead boolit.

I am getting a sub from Sportsmans Warehouse,  "Alliant Black MZ" for $10 a bottle. It cleans easily and doesn't need any lube.

*scoop is a measuring device I fabricate from an old shell, that holds just enough powder that allows about 1/16" of compression by the lead boolit when seating and crimping.

hth
prf mvl

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
Off the shelf Ultramax smokeless .45 Colt available from Cabela's is a great to use with a conversion cylinder if you don't want to reload. It is a "Cowboy" load made for CAS shooters.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:00:32 AM »
Thanks Bishop and Prof. I appreciate it. Since I currently live in a condo, anything reloading wise is out; just don't feel comfortable doing it in such a small area. Saving that aspect of the hobby until I have a house and a shed I can do that in.