Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Picked up this salty Navy.  (Read 9024 times)

Offline pitfighter

• View Profile
Picked up this salty Navy.
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »
I picked this up in a trade this weekend, nothing special, but there is something about it I just like! 

In fact I am quite dubious about some of the replacement parts on it!  The brass trigger guard for example exhibits none of the fine "scalloping" on the edges that the original Colt's should.  But, the iron is original, although no barrel address, cylinder engraving or patent are left and some "bubba" has had a go at it with his letter stamp kit, and the kill "notches" on the grip bottom - arghh, why?

Colt website serial search states it left the factory in 1871 as a hexagonal barreled .36 caliber 1851 Navy, so it hasn't changed much.
Though like all these older Colt's it's been fixed and polished and repaired to within an inch of it's life, grips are chipped but action is tight and the frame locks solid with the barrel, lol.

The other items are bits and pieces I've picked up in my travels - the flag is an old one, 50's or 60's and I picked it up in Louisiana, it's come in for a lot of flak lately.  It's a historical item and the emotion, anger, pride or honor that it once suggested are history too, the players long since dead and buried. 

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:24:36 PM by pitfighter »

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
Re: Picked up this salty Navy.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
That's a real nice Navy you got there. You don't have to worry about that flag here, of course I'm from southern VA originally so a tad biased. Pictures with the "additional scenery" are always nice, good looking old leather too.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
Hi pitfighter, thanks for the great photos. I wish I could afford to own an original Colt.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »
Nice photos. I would love to have an original Colt like that!
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:03 PM »
Nicely done, my friend. Nicely done.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline pitfighter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »
Thank you, Guys,

It's an interesting one for sure, seen a lot of work over the years, and screws and parts repaired and fixed, but it has a charm, and the lock up both frame and action are very good.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
pitfighter,
very nice gun and tasteful backgrounds. You gonna shoot that Navy?
And what about the spurs, any info on those?

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
That's a great looking Navy.  Nothing like an old gun with charm and history.

Offline pitfighter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
pitfighter,
very nice gun and tasteful backgrounds. You gonna shoot that Navy?
And what about the spurs, any info on those?

Thank you!

Hah - well, I am somewhat reckless and will usually attempt to shoot anything I own, at least once, even it is only with a heavy wad and not lead - so, I suspect I will at some point get around to this Navy, yes.

The Navy (Metropolitan Colt Clone) conversion I posted in a different thread here, I did shoot, but with a .38 blank, I found some antique .38 S&W, but, there is a lot that can wrong with an old gun, and I didn't need to know that badly.

The spurs I bought on this last road-trip, antique shop outside El Paso.  Found the spurs, Mexican bandoliers (loaded with live ammo) and the old clip holster, some Mexican blankets and some old .44-40.  The spurs are nice and beat-up, but, I would't wear them on a horse, no horse I rode ever required them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:24:17 PM by pitfighter »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
In fact I am quite dubious about some of the replacement parts on it!  The brass trigger guard for example exhibits none of the fine "scalloping" on the edges that the original Colt's should.

What scalloping are you referring to?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline pitfighter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »
Examine the "edge" where the brass trigger guard meets the steel of the frame -

On original Colt's and even my Metropolitan Clone, the brass has a beautifully "scalloped" angled edge, 45 degrees of even less-steep, with a sharp-beautiful precise factory ridge-edge.

On this old Navy - the brass trigger guard has crude "rounded edge". 
It has not been shortened as the width is identical to the original.  It is just a cruder work job.

The reason this is problematic is that the revolver has some home made stamps, the ".36 cal"  and "Colt Pat." - completely Bubba, as is the replacement serial on the back strap.
But the serial on the frame, guard and barrel assembly looks original - and is a matching stamp - so, if the trigger guard is a replacement, then all of the serial numbers are fake - so, problematic.

Potentially a crude period replacement, or a crude Colt copy - the investigative work ends here for me, lol.

But, I like the revolver.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »

On original Colt's and even my Metropolitan Clone, the brass has a beautifully "scalloped" angled edge, 45 degrees of even less-steep, with a sharp-beautiful precise factory ridge-edge.

On this old Navy - the brass trigger guard has crude "rounded edge". 
It has not been shortened as the width is identical to the original.  It is just a cruder work job.

The reason this is problematic is that the revolver has some home made stamps, the ".36 cal"  and "Colt Pat." - completely Bubba, as is the replacement serial on the back strap.
But the serial on the frame, guard and barrel assembly looks original - and is a matching stamp - so, if the trigger guard is a replacement, then all of the serial numbers are fake - so, problematic.

Potentially a crude period replacement, or a crude Colt copy - the investigative work ends here for me, lol.

But, I like the revolver.

I am no expert, but a lot of replica ASM Navy trigger guards look like that, also around the two rear TG screws. No idea why the serial numbers are the same.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »
Love the Mexican rowel spurs.....nice touch. Wouldn't mind having a pair myself.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline pitfighter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 12:04:21 AM »

I am no expert, but a lot of replica ASM Navy trigger guards look like that, also around the two rear TG screws. No idea why the serial numbers are the same.

Jim

You are correct.

A few replica models have that edge - but no originals I have seen at all.
So, maybe a reproduction trigger guard to replace a damaged original - I simply don't know.

Yes,Miguel Loco, the spurs are cool looking aren't they. 
There were lots in this particular antique mall, I think they had been there a long time.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »

I wouldn't call that a scallop, it's a bevel.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.