Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A new 1849 video  (Read 3309 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
A new 1849 video
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:36:57 AM »
Hi, a new 1849 video:

Yeah, they capsuck. They wouldn't be 1849/1862s if they didn't.  ).L ).L

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: A new 1849 video
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
Good for use across a card table to really piss off a sharper or on feral kittens if that’s how ya roll - and that’s .. just .. about .. it.  Using anything under a .36 is just an invitation to get shot back a few times.  In verity though, an 1849 is “cute”, a term I don’t often employ, but gosh darn it, they are.  I think of them as mostly an urban weapon.  Out on the baddies a ‘49 would just get a guy laughed at (or killed).

In fairness, MB did admit, in full candor, that he would not take it bear hunting.  Yea, no.

;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:05:39 AM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »
Hi G Dog, back in the day even a .22 was a very good defensive weapon. A gut shot was almost always a death sentence with any sized projectile.

In any event I would prefer to have any .31 caliber BP revolver than just having my keys to use for defense.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 11:59:18 AM »
A gut shot was almost always a death sentence with any sized projectile.

Regards,
Richard

Yep, accurate statement.  Just a simple flesh hurt could bring on septicemia and that could be as bad a way to go as getting caught by angry indigenes.  After a dust up I’d just want to stay around in good enough health to send flowers.  Either put em down hard or apologize and get the hell out, if possible.

No contest though.  A .31 makes a good boot gun if/when ya run out of viable options.  One of my boys has a Remington steel .31 and it’s just crazy-ass fun to shoot.  Got a pesky gopher in my yard with that one and it did a full job on that fellow.  Won’t see him no more.  Pocket .31’s are cool little guns and no one can say otherwise. 

--   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
Hi G Dog, the 1848/49 was the most successful Colt of the 1800s, more popular than today's iphones.  )lI

Regards,
Richard

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Yes Sir, number one top seller.

As to the utility and efficacy of a .31, this is pretty good:   My boy who owns the Rem Pocket briefly loaned it to a friend-girl (Oregon left coast, blond dreadlock anti gunner type - you know the demo) who raises rabbits and chickens for business and was plagued by coon and fox.  He showed her how to shoot and run it, practiced a few shots, cleaned it, loaded four and left it overnight.  Within twenty-four hours she had a fox on top of her hutch and nailed it out a second story window with a plunging shot to the head. One shot. She cried about killing Vulpes vulpes but ironically, is a lot less anti-gun now and her stock is intact.  Interesting how that works, even for falafel Libs.

So much for Democrats and .31 Pockets.  Those are good guns.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:03:08 PM by G Dog »
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
They don't call 'em mouse guns for nuthin', boys...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
They're good guns and fun but with very pronounced inherent limitations (read, mouse fart).

That fox I mentioned was a young vixen and just little.  That's the only sort of thing you should shoot with a .31 Pocket, little. It was the only gun that girl had; the only gun she ever had. She loves those rabbits though, she'd a shot us too if we were caught messin' with those damn rabbits.
                                                   --   Aristotle