Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dad's 45 - Series 70 Colt Government Model  (Read 3210 times)

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
Dad's 45 - Series 70 Colt Government Model
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
Dad was salesman for an aluminum foil company. He had a sales route that saw him driving to visit customers in the Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana. At some point he got into a fender bender back in the 1970's with a road raging idiot. Guy threatened him with a tire iron. Dad sped off but was a little freaked out by it. He did some research and bought this pistol plus a 12 gauge pump shotgun with bulk ammo to go with both guns. FMJ for the Colt and 00Buck for the 12 gauge. He also put a year or more worth of canned freeze dried survival food under our basement steps.   

Mom tells me a story of how on one Halloween night she answered a knock at the front door and was expecting children trick or treating. Instead she found a huge black guy who started coming in the house. She yelled out to my Dad:

TOM! Get your gun I need help!!

Dad came out of the bedroom with his Colt Series 70 45 which he kept loaded "cocked and locked" and said:

"Get the hell out of my house!"

The Dude saw the gun, turned right around, and got out of there quick. 

Dad passed away when I was 12. A good family friend taught me to hunt and shoot plus stored this gun for me till I was 21 and legally able to possess it in Illinois with a FOID card. I inherited it bone stock with the cardboard box and all the paperwork including original receipt.

In the 1990's when I was in my 20's, I of course, ruined all it's collectable value by having a bunch of custom work done to it. Had the following added: Kings beaver tail grip safety, Kings ambi-safety, Videcki Speed Trigger, taller dovetailed sights, lowered and flare ejection port, polished and throated barrel, custom cut hammer bead blasted to match the color of the trigger, a insanely LIGHT trigger job, and the whole thing reblued. I later on added the non-matching color Wilson bullet proof slide stop and shot the heck out of it.

I've retired it to the gun safe for the past 10 years and shoot once in awhile. It currently has hammer follow and I'll probably replace the hammer with a commander hammer some time in the next couple of years.

NRA Life Member

Offline Len

• View Profile
Re: Dad's 45 - Series 70 Colt Government Model
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:53:54 AM »
Good story, thanks for sharing

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »
Good story and a great looking pistol

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »
Thanks gents.
NRA Life Member

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 04:48:07 PM »
That’s a lovely piece, drobs.  I love those things, no exaggeration, and no jive.  A Combat Commander version of that bad boy has been my cool weather concealed carry arm since I was 23, no mods.  Got it new, way back in the day.  I swear by those things.  Mine has seen action from Tegucigalpa to Vancouver and in Tucson, once.  It’s one of the best friends I ever had, maybe the best.  And that’s all I have to say about that. 

I’m very partial to those and yours is a beauty.  Good post. 

[One inch stolen Nike across the threshold and I'd a greased that trickertreatn’ chimp, no problems, no regrets.  But that‘s just me and drobs dad may have done the correct thing at the time, probably did.]

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:01:35 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »
That is one FINE looker, Drobs!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
Hi drobs, nice 1911. Any handgun with a pony on it is always nice.

I bobbed the hammer of my Colt 1911 to prevent hand web biting, see:

I tried a commander hammer on this 1911 and didn't like it.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »
Nice looking Colt Richard.
I bobbed the hammer on my Rock Island GI 45 and have been considering doing the same on my pair of Israeli surplus FN Hi Powers.
I was thinking I'd add a Commander hammer to the Colt just to bring it in to the modern day as far as looks.
NRA Life Member

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
Very nice! My gun was purchased used; I think it was built from parts for competition shooting as it has a NM barrel, and mis-matched numbers. BUT....the price was right!!  Also had the grip safety disconnected. I put that back into use  because of possible legal issues if I had to use the gun for anything serious.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
Nice gun Drobs.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »
Thanks gents.

I mostly carry plastic (Block or Ruger) or one of my FN Hi Powers these days.
NRA Life Member