Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 60 armies  (Read 10226 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Re: 60 armies
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »
Hi Mike , did you make the Holly grips in sections or out of one piece of wood.
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
3 pieces.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »
Hi Mike, would you please describe on how you make the three piece grip? I have a couple of Holly slabs purchased from eBay a few months ago, but not sure how to get started.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »
Hi Mike, would you please describe on how you make the three piece grip? I have a couple of Holly slabs purchased from eBay a few months ago, but not sure how to get started.

Regards,
Richard

Very intetested in this procedure myself.
BIGTED

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »
So am I Mike, see what you started ($!
Hewy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 07:55:53 PM »
OK,  I don't have any pics and I'm kinda pressed for time right now but here's a quick overview.   It's really a simple process.
I remove the old grips and install the backstrap and trigger guard just as if the grips were on it.   Then take piece of cardstock or light cardboard and place it behind the grip frame.   Trace the area inside the trigger guard leaving a little extra room where the main spring has to move.   Cut out the shape you just traced and transfer the shape to a block of wood cut to the same thickness of the back strap.   You might have to sand the block on a flat surface to get it to the exact dimension needed.    Take a piece of wood intended for the outside of one side of the grip and trace the outside profile of the grip frame onto it.   Cut out the shape from the block leaving at least a 1/16 inch extra everywhere except where the wood meets the revolver frame and the top edge of the grip frame.    This angle where the main frame and backstrap are screwed together is important.  It looks like 90 degrees bit it's not,  and it's different on each gun.   I start at a little over 90 degrees and hand sand on a flat surface with the sandpaper glued to the flat surface and run the wood back and forth over the sand paper until the right angle is achieved.  Sand a little and check often.     After one side of grip is done then perform the procedure on the other side.  (Trace, & duplicate the angle).

You should now have the 3 pieces you need.     Now set the center piece inside the grip frame and glue one of the side pieces to the center section.  Keep the center section positioned against the bottom and front of the grip frame and the outside piece snug against the frame and the top of the backstrap while the glue sets up.  Small clamps and some painters tape will help keep things positioned.    When the first side is set then glue the other side in the same manner.    You will end up with an oversized "blank" that can now be sanded to fit perfectly.   If the new grip blank wants to move around a little then glue some shims cut from thin wood between the grip frame and the center grip piece.   

Shaping and contouring without damaging the grip frame is easiest if you trace lines in pencil and sand until just a thin part of the line is left visible.  Then reinstall the grip and check the fit often.   The last little bit of fitting is done by feel. 
If you aren't worried about saving the finish on the grip frame you can do the final fitting by sanding the wood down to match the grip frame and then refinish the grip frame by polishing and bluing the parts as required.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Very good explination! Explicit and made to sound easy.

Just want a bit about the finish on this white wood ... sealing and final finish.

Thanks for your excellent explination! 
BIGTED

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
Hey Ted,   finish is sanded to 220 grit, then 0000 steel wool.   Wipe on Polyurethane to seal it off and then hit it with steel wool again to remove any undesired gloss.    This is just what I do with most grips I finish.   There are hundreds of ways to finish wood.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Mike. I have been contemplating making my own grips. Now I'm going to try it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 04:03:51 AM »
Hi Mike, thank you for the explanation. Getting started is always the hardest part of any project.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 07:40:49 AM »
Thanks Mike, now to find American Holly lumber. I tried on line and put Holly Wood in the search, you got it I got that weird town north of LA ($!
Hewy
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Hi Hewy, it is available. I just ordered this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Holly-board-12-x-3-x-7-8-Ilex-opaca/273918780545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Search holly lumber, American holly lumber, Ilex opaca wood, or Ilex opaca lumber.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:22:29 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »
Thanks for the Ebay tip. Did you read Mikes grip build method ?
As soon as I land *6H an 1860 ,will start on the Holly grips also.
Hewy

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »
Hi Hewy, it is available. I just ordered this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Holly-board-12-x-3-x-7-8-Ilex-opaca/273918780545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Search holly lumber, American holly lumber, Ilex opaca wood, or Ilex opaca lumber.

Regards,
Richard

Thanks for that link Richard. I just bought a slab. I'm gonna make me some grips!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
Hi, today I returned an eBay 1851 white grips for refund. The grips were advertised as Pietta manufacture, but were really NC Ordnance grips. Those grips didn't even come close to fitting. I will take that refund and put it to getting a scroll saw for doing wood grips:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC1HLNP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even ordered a power sanding system:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC1HYBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Richard