Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Smokeless in a BP revolver  (Read 3273 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Smokeless in a BP revolver
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:53:57 PM »
Golly, I just watched a you tube video where a young man loaded a Remington new model army with smokeless powder (clays).

He loaded [ready for this] 3/4 teaspoon ... yep i rewound it to make sure my ears heard the real deal from this young man.

He loaded his 3/4 teaspoon of clays first then loaded 30 grains cornmeal over it. Then he srated the balls and crushed the meal and powder.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nobody duplicate this first rate disaster in the making!!!

Again i would warn anybody that has seen this horrific video to wait to experiment till someone with the proper equipment to do some modern and honest experiments to discover what indeed this young fool has begun.

PLEASE PLEASE help me spread the word before somebody gets hurt or worse yet ... KILLED.. how could a feller live with himself when the cylinder comes apart and shrapnel kills someone or puts an eye out of the folks standing beside him.

I tell you this scares me to pieces and makes me shudder just thinking about all the possibility's.

Thanks fella's
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Smokeless in a BP revolver
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
This has been covered in spades on all the BP forums (including this one) over the years. If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times, but just in case:

NO AMOUNT OF SMOKELESS POWDER CAN BE CONSIDERED SAFE IN A BLACK POWDER REVOLVER, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TRAIL BOSS IN CARTRIDGE CONVERSIONS!

Yes, some folks have done it, but sooner or later their luck will run out and they will wind up with a face full of shrapnel, or worse.
Cartridge conversion cylinders for BP firearms are made of smokeless quality steel that can withstand smokeless pressures while BP cylinders are not designed nor proofed for these types of pressures!

Thanks for posting, Ted. It can't be repeated too often. DON'T DO IT!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »
This has been covered in spades on all the BP forums (including this one) over the years. If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times, but just in case:

NO AMOUNT OF SMOKELESS POWDER CAN BE CONSIDERED SAFE IN A BLACK POWDER REVOLVER, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TRAIL BOSS IN CARTRIDGE CONVERSIONS!

Yes, some folks have done it, but sooner or later their luck will run out and they will wind up with a face full of shrapnel, or worse.
Cartridge conversion cylinders for BP firearms are made of smokeless quality steel that can withstand smokeless pressures while BP cylinders are not designed nor proofed for these types of pressures!

Thanks for posting, Ted. It can't be repeated too often. DON'T DO IT!

Dang does this mean I can't load 30 grains of W231 in my 58 with it's superior top strap? (7+" (7+" (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:09 AM »
Went back and rewatched the vid. His charge is 2/3rds of a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon of clays. Reported this but feel strongly that we should ALL report this so youstupids will remove it from the playlist.

Greatnortherndad is the publisher and called ... SMOKELESS POWDER IN A 58 REMINGTON REVOLVER

This is just scary shit.
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
Hi bigted, IMO the only reason that guy is alive is that the ignition system caps/nipples doesn't provide enough energy to properly ignite the smokeless powder. A few years ago I tested Blackhorn 209 that is a smokeless powder used in muzzleloaders ignited with a shotgun primer in an 1858 Remington, see:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6410.msg102886.html#msg102886

A black powder booster wasn't even enough to properly ignite the Blackhorn 209. Smokeless powder needs a strong primer to properly ignite and raise the pressure sufficiently to allow the smokeless powder to burn properly. In a cap and ball revolver, even if some smokeless powder ignites, most of the powder is blown out the muzzle unburned.

Screwing with smokeless powder in a C&B revolver is just asking for trouble. Even the conversion cylinders specs expect smokeless powder loading to not exceed the maximum pressure of black powder loading's.

With all the different black powder substitutes there is little reason to think that there is any benefit in loading a C&B revolver with smokeless powder.

Even a discussion on this subject is dangerous to ignorant people that will want to try for loading smokeless powder in C&B revolvers.

IMO this thread should be locked.

Regards,
Richard 
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
If i may ask ... I do not understand what "closing" this thread is intended to do. Not being contrary ... just can not wrap my mind around the intention of such a suggestion.
BIGTED

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
If this thread were unclear on the question then it would present a danger but there is no ambiguity here whatever on the subject.  The message is clear: “Don’t do it”.  It’s a public service to clearly state that simple proposition to all current and future readers. 

No one will ever learn anything about this hazard from us avoiding the topic.  A thread like this is a useful and important counter measure to such Bozo-assed freak show vidyas as the one first referenced. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle