Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ruger New Vaquero  (Read 10542 times)

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
Re: Ruger New Vaquero
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »
not owning one, I can't really say if I'd like it as far as shooting, but the differences in it from the originals have always steered me away.  I had originally thought that i would enjoy cowboy action shooting, but the way it's done, it seems to me more like guys with those modern tuner cars in gun form, lol!  And from what i've heard, to really be any good, it helps to be somewhat well to do.

Yeah it seems to be an expensive hobby, mostly for retired people with fat wallets who can afford to do a lot of travelling.  I joined SASS last year with the intention of getting into it, but the nearest club is a 2 hour drive.  I went to one meet, enjoyed it, but decided the commitment in time and money would be too much.  Nobody in my neighborhood does any CAS, yet.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
They all might look alike, but 73-style grips can be different from frame to frame.

Not just can be they all are, the Italian ones anyway. They don't fit the grips to the grip frame. They install the grips on the rough frame and finish them together.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »
I have one buddy who goes to Waco and shoots SASS with the club up there.  But hell, range dues for the membership are $200 plus a yr, not to mention the fees you gotta pay when you go there.  Plus I ain't got a lever gun nor a coach gun.  I'll stick to Redneck SASS lol! *6'
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
Yes, SASS and even CAS appears to be a hobby for the wealthy & retired. Hell, most of those folks are too uppity to hang out with us lowlifes on the forums, why would they want us shooting with them? &m(
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
I have one buddy who goes to Waco and shoots SASS with the club up there.  But hell, range dues for the membership are $200 plus a yr, not to mention the fees you gotta pay when you go there.  Plus I ain't got a lever gun nor a coach gun.  I'll stick to Redneck SASS lol! *6'

Redneck SASS, I like that!  That's me, I can go up the hill in the woods behind my house and be an outlaw all by my lonesome.  *6'

So yeah you gotta buy basic period clothing.  Ideally you need two pistols (and leather) a coach gun and a lever action, looking at a minimum of $2000-$2500 right there.  And some kind of a caddy to truck your stuff around from station to station. Serious reloading.  And a truck to haul it in.  And a lot of travelling money for gas, motels and meals. And lots of free time.  Like owning a horse.
  *Z$
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:20:17 PM by Saranac Sam »
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
Yes, SASS and even CAS appears to be a hobby for the wealthy & retired. Hell, most of those folks are too uppity to hang out with us lowlifes on the forums, why would they want us shooting with them? &m(

I'm sure Fingers will have a comment or two about that. *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »
Well, as far as having to be wealthy, I have a couple of friends who are big into the CAS scene and they are just ordinary working guys. Yeah, they reload lots, but have either a pickup camper or a pop-up so no costly restaurants or motels. And they really enjoy themselves!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:52:46 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
I'm sure Fingers will have a comment or two about that. *6'

Fingers don't count. He's one of us, as evident by all the forums he belongs to. I didn't mean to infer ALL of them anyway; I said "most".
Hell, if his cohorts knew he was hangin' out here they'd prolly kick him out.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"