Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Just Stopped By...  (Read 4690 times)

Offline HighWall

• View Profile
Just Stopped By...
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I've been collecting cap & ball replicas for 20 years, yet I'd never actually shot one until this last summer when I added a Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon to the herd.  That was so much fun, I've added an 1858 Remington and 1860 Army, both Pietta.  I find the designs very elegant and comfortable to work with and they all have provided a bit of opportunity for amateur gunsmithing.  What's not to like? 

I'm getting up the fortitude to put a dovetail front sight onto a .36 Sheriff's model I've had forever.  It shoots tight groups but about 8" high at 15 yards.  I've been looking quite a bit for the right sight and have discovered the Starr front sight sold by Dixie and think it will be just perfect.  Just waiting for the time to introduce it to Mr. Milling Machine...

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Just Stopped By...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Hi HighWall,  welcome to the Colt side.    How did you have BP guns around for 20 years without loading one up and emptying it out just once?  My first one only lasted a couple weeks before I fired it.  I don't have any that I don't shoot. Maybe I'm just not collector minded enough.

Offline HighWall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi HighWall,  welcome to the Colt side.    How did you have BP guns around for 20 years without loading one up and emptying it out just once?  My first one only lasted a couple weeks before I fired it.  I don't have any that I don't shoot. Maybe I'm just not collector minded enough.

Don't know.  Guess I've been fortunate enough to have more guns than time to shoot them.  I've mostly been involved in BPCR Silhouette, which was pretty much all consuming, but a fantastic education.  I've also done a bit of varmint hunting and benchrest shooting, some Schutzen and a bit of amateur gunsmithing.  Just never got around to working with the C&B pistols.  To every thing, there is a season...turn, turn, turn.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
.....Don't know.  Guess I've been fortunate enough to have more guns than time to shoot them..... To every thing, there is a season...turn, turn, turn.
Welcome Highwall! Yeah, I know the feeling...My 2nd mdl Dragoon is still a virgin after 7-8 years! Along with many other guns. So many shooting platforms, so little time.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »
Welcome to Colt Country! Glad you finally got around to discovering the joys of Cap & ball revolvers!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
I understand about the "lots of things on my plate" problem.  I used to do some coyote calling myself.  Took up a lot of time.... sitting, waiting, calling, moving, sitting, waiting, calling,moving  etc.  In between the calling and waiting there was usually some shooting.  Sometimes not.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
Great to see ya on here HighWall!   :-*