Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Some hits and misses doing Walker mods  (Read 2729 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Some hits and misses doing Walker mods
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:48:53 AM »
Hi, I came across a video of a guy doing Walker mods. Some work, some don't. IMO a wannabe gunsmith. The video:

A few mods of his leave me cold:
A loose fitting brass arbor extension.
The replacement of the hand spring with a "ruger" type spring.
The washer under the bolt/trigger spring.

Notice the location of a house relative to his targets, minute 39:05.

IMO it won't be long before he sells his problem child to some poor unsuspecting newbie.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
Re: Some hits and misses doing Walker mods
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
  Most of his ideas are good, but the execution leaves something to be desired. I also don't like loose shims that can fall out when disassembling for cleaning.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
I used a couple of thin washers in my dragoon. They worked well for me but I took them out when I sold it figuring whoever got it would want to fix it their way.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:13:40 PM »
This guy actually has some very good gun reviews, including a review of the new Standard Mfg, SAA replica and a shooting video in which he compares SAA's by Colt, Uberti, USFA and Standard. From what I've seen he's very ethical and wouldn't ever sell that Walker without full disclosure. 

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »
Hi, I came across a video of a guy doing Walker mods. Some work, some don't. IMO a wannabe gunsmith. The video:

A few mods of his leave me cold:
A loose fitting brass arbor extension.
The replacement of the hand spring with a "ruger" type spring.
The washer under the bolt/trigger spring.

Notice the location of a house relative to his targets, minute 39:05.

Just ran across this thread. I saw the same video. His range is in a dangerous location for sure. I realize that a man's gun is his to do with as he sees fit, however I think it takes away from the sense of the period doing a bunch of modifications. the originals shooters dealt with the issues that are the norm for C&B revolvers. Personally, I choose to shoot them as they did. I admit that I am a purist. such as have never used anything but real black powder etc. Ha! I guess, to each his own.

IMO it won't be long before he sells his problem child to some poor unsuspecting newbie.

Regards,
Richard
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!