Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dead eye talks pockets  (Read 3503 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Dead eye talks pockets
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
Hi, Dead eye talks pockets:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Dead eye talks pockets
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
The Winegar corny-ass comedy schtick don’t float.  Ol Duke should stay clear of that crowd.  He doesn’t need them.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
Interesting video, but the guy needs to learn more about the 1848 models. The 6" barreled guns had load levers which were long enough to load the cylinder on the gun. The 1848 also had a shorter frame and a shorter forcing cone than the 1849, along with a shallow v-notch load aperture unlike the 1849, and all of the 1848 pistols did not have round/oval stop slots as many were rectangular, and some early 1849 pistols were produced and sold with a squareback TG until Colt exhausted his supply of them. I also cite a photo in Flayderman's Guide.

I don't know where he got the 1850 date for production of the so-called "Well Fargo" guns.

I think the Colt Pocket Navy .36 was not introduced concurrently with the Colt Pocket Police .36 as it would not make sense for Colt's widow to have competing pistols, especially because the Navy barrel/load lever was fairly and comparatively outdated, even though it was of stout design. I rather think the Pocket Navy was introduced post War in 1865 to try to use up parts in inventory as best as she could. A matter of conjecture.

The following is a repro 1848 Colt by Replica Arms El Paso Texas made by ASM with a date code of 1963 XIX, but  I think it does well to illustrate what I have stated. I no longer own it because it is just too small to hold in hand with my long fingers.

Hope I did not step on any toes.

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:14:52 PM »
Not parts but tooling. The pocket navy was introduced because Colt couldn’t keep up with demand for the 1862 pocket of navy caliber so they converted some of the 1849’s tooling to produce 1849’s of navy caliber

They couldn’t make enough “Police” style to meet demand so they filled it with “navy” style

Although navy really refers to caliber (0.36)
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 04:27:04 AM »
Talking about pockets, left side..............Jim

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »
Great collection, Calibre58.    Is that some Charlie Russell bronze below the gun case?

Frazier says that the various pocket mods that did not have a loading lever could only be loaded by taking the cylinder off the gun and using the arbor to press the bullet into the chambers. 

Wasn’t there a brass tool / rammer independent of the gun with a wide fore end that was used to press the bullet using palm pressure and that fit through what was otherwise the hole in the frame for the rammer (had one been attached)?  Did the pockets without a rammer still have that channel?

Honestly gentlemen, I’m developing some reservations as to the level of Mr. Frazier’s expertise.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:50:36 PM by G Dog »
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 04:07:51 PM »
G DOG.....Thank you. Those bronzes are Remingtons. Not modern repros.....Jim

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
C58

I can’t think of a better or more appropriate foreground to your gun display than some original Fred Remington.  Really cool.

Trump has one in the Oval Office, I think.

Well done!
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 04:03:42 AM »
Yes Mr.Trump has a Remington, Cheyenne.  I have a Cheyenne and Rattlesnake...Jim

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
Hi Calibre58, a real Fredrick Remington - WOW  (jh

The closest I own to a Frederic Remington is a Uberti commemorative 1851, The Cowboy:

(The photos are from LeatherSmithMike.)

This revolver is the slickest operating revolver I own, someone did a magnificent tuning job on the revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
Ssb73q.....NICE.....I think there is a Remington Army also.....Jim

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
I watched the video.  I’m not certain, but was it about “pocket” models ?  I lost count of how many times he said the word “pocket” or “pockets”.  He could tighten up his script.  L@J