Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Parts Swap Special  (Read 2145 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Parts Swap Special
« on: December 28, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
This pistol started life as a .44 Navy Sheriff Model, with a brass frame. It came in a lot of Pietta guns I bought on GB. I didn't pay a lot for the guns, so the Navy brasser was just kind of a bonus gun. I'm not really into the fantasy stuff, but I had an idea of what to do with it.

I went on eBay and found a Pietta 1860 Army frame for cheap. It was brand new and only $80. And it was steel. Perfect. So I swapped out all the brasser parts to the steel frame and was pretty content with it. It was a real testament to the interchangeability of Pietta parts. The only real work it needed was a little file work on the hammer channel. I slicked up the guts just because I was already in there. Then I got another brilliant idea.

I already have several Navy clones most in .36 but also a couple in .44 caliber. So I didn't really need another one, I decided to make this one a cartridge gun. I had a Howell conversion, that I used in my other .44 Navy to fire .45 Colt BP loads in. So I put that cylinder into this gun. It worked perfectly. No work needed.

It's really fun to shoot and easy to grab and carry. And speaking of carry, it kinda became my go-to gun when I feel I need to take a pistol with me. It fit's into a jacket pocket really nice and 5 rounds of .45 Colt, loaded with 30 grains of BP and a 250 grain bullet, isn't anything to sneeze at. I just like it.

Then I got my last idea for this pistol. I decided that since I'm carrying it around when I need it, I didn't want it flashy. So I swapped out the backstrap and trigger guard with the other .44 Navy. I like the dark blue better on this gun. Just kind of blacks it out instead of being blingy like the polished brass. It's also a more open, rounded trigger guard. I like the look of it. Hope you enjoy it too.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
Re: Parts Swap Special
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
That's a nice little power house of a gun Dave. Now that Pietta bird's head grip frames are available, you've got me thinking about building a gun like yours with the curved rear grip.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »
That's a nice little power house of a gun Dave. Now that Pietta bird's head grip frames are available, you've got me thinking about building a gun like yours with the curved rear grip.

Thank you Sir.

I like the way you think. I've been kicking that idea around as well.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:04 PM »
If you don't like the shiny brass, there is a product called Brass Black. BUT....you don't need it if you have cold blue around. IMHO, the Brass Black is just re-named cold blue.