Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Richard is getting a LeMat  (Read 13241 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Richard is getting a LeMat
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 05:00:35 AM »
Hi, the only thing better than a nice revolver is a nice revolver in a nice holster. LeatherSmithMike is going to make a nice holster for my LeMat. There was a slight competition between a period correct flap holster, or more of a western style holster. The western would be more convenient at the range, I'm going with western. To compensate for period correct misgivings, a CS belt buckle was installed on one of my LeatherSmithMike's gun belts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Civil-War-CS-Confederate-States-Reenactor-Solid-Brass-Belt-Buckle-MADE-IN-USA/202577944419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

If you are looking for great leather products at a modest price, Mike (mike116) is the guy to go to:
www.LeathersmithMike.net

In my quest to watch movies that used the LeMat, I watched Last Stand at Saber River last night. Cold Mountain is scheduled for tonight.

Winter is preventing me from spending range time with the LeMat, but I was able to test ignition yesterday in my basement. #10 Remington caps were put on the .44 chamber nipples and a #10 CCI cap on the shotgun barrel. All the .44 chamber caps fired on each hammer fall. However, it took two hammer falls to fire the shotgun barrel cap. Other LeMat users report needing two hits of the hammer to fire the shotgun barrel. The hammer stroke is only ~1" with the hammer nose in shotgun firing position. Some report that thinning (stoning) the metal foil of the cap helps shotgun barrel ignition. I'll leave the thinning of caps to others, thank you. I noticed that the takedown lever falls down on firing the .44 chamber caps. This is another reported issue for the LeMat with takedown lever. It appears it would take some serious gunsmithing to resolve that issue. I'll just keep track on that issue when shooting. The last thing one needs is the barrel unscrewing when shooting.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:26:58 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 10:02:39 PM »
Richard, did you resolve the takedown lever issue?

It seems like the LeMat copies have a laundry list of little hiccups. Is that the case with the originals too? Or is it just the copies that are afflicted? Not a put down of the gun at all, just an observation.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 04:29:09 AM »
Hi Dave, no I have not found a solution to the takedown lever falling down. It and breaking the loading lever is systemic in the LeMat design. This seems typical for a first model design, kind of like Colts Paterson. Having said that, Pietta makes a pretty good representation of the LeMat (discounting caliber). Like the Paterson, it is what it is. Frankly, I find the quirks in early 19th century firearms charming. Managing the idiosyncrasies in use adds to the hobby interest.

I could fix the fall down lever issue, but that would require a kludge to the revolver. IMO that's not worth doing considering the limited LeMat shooting expected.

BTW, I watched Cold Mountain again and have on order The Quick and the Dead and The Warrior's Way that show the LeMat.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:30:57 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 04:39:47 AM »
Hi, yesterday I cast 76 0.595" lead balls for my LeMat 20ga shotgun barrel:

The mold used was a Lee sold by Track of the Wolf:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1202/1/LEE-595-DC

Flax tow will be used for wadding:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flax-tow-fiber-1-2-pound/233060362072?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

While 76 balls may not seem like a lot, that many should last me a few lifetimes. Most of my LeMat shooting will be done with 0.454" balls already on hand.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
Hi, a note on getting a screwdriver spanner for the LeMat spanner slotted screw. I bought these #12 spanner bits and then grind them down to have a thin narrow spanner:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLZ7FXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the spanner you don't need to remove the hammer screw from the frame to get into the LeMat innards.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »
Hi, I won a replica CSA belt buckle on eBay, $15:

Mike is making me a holster for my LeMat. This buckle should give the LeMat rig some snap when out at the range. Wonder if the steel targets will notice.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
I had been looking at the LeMats for a long time, but the price for a new one is out of my reach also. It will be nice to see how she works out for you at the range Richard.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
I am very interested in how the gun does when shooting it. I have  Calvary model like yours circa 1980. I bout it from original owner. He says he never fired it and I believe him as I know him very well. He said the only one he had seen that had been fired had a plum colored cylinder. I have had the same observation of another gun. Consequently have not had the courage to shoot it even though I would love to.

If yours turns out fine, I will shoot mine and I guess I can always have it re-blued.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 03:57:50 AM »
Hi tljack, I don't think you should be concerned about the cylinder condition as it relates to safety. The short Pietta LeMat cylinder .44 chambers  takes ~20gr of powder, typical of what is recommended for a brass framed open top Colt. There should be proof marks on the cylinder face.

IMO shoot your LeMat and give us a range report. Weather may keep me from shooting mine for a few months more.

Regards,
Richard

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »
I am not concerned about cylinder safety. I am concerned that it will turn a weird plumb color. It is a beautiful gun now and I do not want to screw it up. I have lots of BP percussion guns I can shoot so will wait and see how the shooting of this gun goes.

Additionally mine is about 39 years old and unfired. I might be best left that way. I realize many here do not believe in have a gun that is not a shooter, however a guy can only shoot so many! L@.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »
Hey guys. If anyone is interested, here's one ending today on GB. At just over $700, it's expensive but seems like a good deal for a Lemat.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800457644
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2019, 03:53:21 PM »
I am not concerned about cylinder safety. I am concerned that it will turn a weird plumb color. It is a beautiful gun now and I do not want to screw it up. I have lots of BP percussion guns I can shoot so will wait and see how the shooting of this gun goes.

Additionally mine is about 39 years old and unfired. I might be best left that way. I realize many here do not believe in have a gun that is not a shooter, however a guy can only shoot so many! L@.

It might turn plum anyway but it's usually the frames that do it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:57:14 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2019, 05:31:15 AM »

Hi tljack, is your 39yr old LeMat a Pietta? My 18yr old Pietta LeMat has a serial number of 118, pretty low.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:22:33 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
I am concerned that it will turn a weird plumb color.

Each to his own taste of course but what’s “weird” about plum frames?  Unusual maybe.  A matter of copper content according to members here.  I have a couple of Pietta Remington 2011’s that are headed that way, slowly.  It’s a good look, says I.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »

Hi tljack, is your 39yr old LeMat a Pietta? My 18yr old Pietta LeMat has a serial number of 118, pretty low.

Regards,
Richard

I am sorry to be so slow replying to your question!! I did not see the post until now.
I have no idea. Theo only markings are: Navy Arms then the city, On top of the barrel it says, "Col LeMat, under the loading lever "black powder only" No date code, no proof marks, no manufacture emblem etc. Serial is 789. My dating is based on the friend I bought it from who purchased it new.

Flinters are awesome!