Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Bullets  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
New Bullets
« on: February 03, 2019, 03:04:41 AM »
 Mike116 gave me 150 of these .36 caliber Richmond Laboratories bullets cast from an Era's Gone mold. I can't wait to try them out in my 51 navy and my Leech & Rigdon. I may even try a couple in a Remington if I feel like fooling with one. I'd like to try them in my Griswold & Gunnison but I'm scared I'll mess the frame up.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: New Bullets
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:50:24 AM »
Hi Hawg, those look nice. Besides being an excellent leather products craftsman, those bullets prove that Mike is an excellent caster. I look forward to your shooting reports using those bullets.

BTW, I hope you never let Pryodex anywhere near those beautiful bullets.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 04:22:07 AM »
Hi Hawg, those look nice. Besides being an excellent leather products craftsman, those bullets prove that Mike is an excellent caster. I look forward to your shooting reports using those bullets.

BTW, I hope you never let Pryodex anywhere near those beautiful bullets.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard

I was going to use Swiss but I've got some Pyrodex. I'll shoot some with it just for you Richard. *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
I've fired about 100 of these in my '51' '61, and G&G.  they work well in all of them and load easier than you might think.   I don't like really light loads but 20 grains in my G&G with these seems more like 25 grains so maybe 15-18 grains in a brass frame would be a better idea.   

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
I don't go over 15 in a brass frame to start with.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 01:51:02 PM »
Those look great. I really want to get a couple molds from Era's Gone. These look perfect for making paper cartridges for too.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
I'm a little worried the recoil might batter the recoil ring. These things weigh 149-150 grains. I appreciate it Scoob. If they shoot like they do out of a Pietta on you tube I might take you up on it. I'm going to try to get out and shoot some if it ever dries up around here. I hate it that I can't just walk out the front door and shoot anymore.

There's a dude on one of my Facebook groups Cliff Manley that makes cartridge formers that make period looking cartridges that hold the original service charge of 17 grains of powder. All it is is a tapered dowel and a block with a matching tapered hole and he wants 30 bucks for them. It does look like it takes some of the tediousness out of making them so I may try to make my own.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:08:18 PM by Hawg »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
I made my own own cartridge former Hawg,  just like Manley's only I made mine before he started making them.   I wouldn't buy anything that Cliff Manley had anything to do with.   
(I had typed some unflattering remarks about Manley but thought better of it before I hit the post button)   
I'll just say that I think he is a less than stellar individual.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:23:14 PM by mike116 »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
 I don't like him much myself but his former seems to work. I wouldn't give 30 bucks for one tho.