Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show us your flintlocks  (Read 41208 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Re: Show us your flintlocks
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2021, 04:51:09 PM »
Oh yes.  Not what I wanted at all. But you live with events. I forged the rear sight and made the brass nose cap.
Very basic rifle.

Offline brownie

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2022, 06:15:30 PM »
My Flintlock, .36 caliber Green Mountain barrel, Chamber's Golden Age Lock. I picked out the wood from a blank and had it band sawed, rough carved and the barrel channel cut. I did everything else. Lancaster design.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2022, 06:20:55 PM »
Superb, Brownie! Nothing second rate about that!!! :big_drink_2:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »
Beautiful rifle and the possibles bag and powder horn ain't nuffin to sneeze at either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2022, 05:48:47 AM »
that rifle is beautiful brownie!!! Love the stain/coloring!! You do some mighty fine work there bud. Geez I wish I had that talent. Thanks for posting. How does she shoot? Good as she looks??

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2022, 11:19:27 AM »
Outstanding brownie! Absolutely beautiful work, on the gun and accoutrements. I'd be proud to have any or all of it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline brownie

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2022, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the complements. I read some of the comments about flintlocks, and perceived ignition lag . The Jim Chambers lock is an excellent lock that is very fast with ignition. Once I touch the front trigger, as soon as I hear /sense the flint strike the frizzen the round ball is on it's way. Seems like the key to flintlocks is a quality lock, correct orientation to the flash hole, and of course a good sharp flint. It produces between one and two inch (bench rest) groups at fifty yards.

Flintlocks take a lot of experimenting with load components. For example, common recommendation is the tightest ball / patch combination you can hammer down the bore. Not always. I started with a .015 linen patch and .360 R/Balls. Took a while to figure out, but this rifle seems to shoot best with a .358 R/B and .010 patch with just a "dash" of spit. Saturating a patch with lube, of whatever type, may not always be conducive to allowing the ball a good grip on the rifling with the patch in all cases.

In 21 years of shooting this rifle, I've never had a problem with the lock. The frizzen still makes lots pf sparks. This rifle has a straight barrel. I have another rifle ready to be started with a "swamped" barrel, (tapered and flared). They are much lighter for off hand shooting. That rifle will also wear a Chambers lock.    I made the bag and the horn.
Here's another photo,...forgive me, I'm still getting hang of correctly resizing them ! 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:59:30 PM by Zulch »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2022, 12:07:13 PM »
Simply awesome brownie.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln