Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show us your flintlocks  (Read 41207 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Show us your flintlocks
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
Here are 3 of my original turn-barrel flintlocks

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »
Mazo,
I need some edu here. What does a "turn-barrel flintlock" mean?

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
Mazo,
I need some edu here. What does a "turn-barrel flintlock" mean?

Sometimes also called "Screw" Barrel. The barrel unscrews to assist in loading.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
Exactly! You unscrew the barrel; there is a recess in the frame for powder, put powder in, ball on top, turn barrel on. No ramrod needed. Of course, there isn't much fire-power there, but these are close range guns, often called muff pistols as ladies could conceal them in their hand muffs. Also vest pocket pistols.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:19:06 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
Thanks. Got it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 04:46:35 AM »
A great book about Flintlocks that is worth adding to your library if you do not have it and you have the slightest interest in flintlock firearms is:

The Flintlock, It's origin, Development , and Use by Torsten Lenk and translated by G>A. Urquhart. Originally published in Sweden in 1939. The author retired as Director of the Royal Swedish Armory.

Not only does the book have great information, the photos of antique firearms is awesome!

Hi, I bought the book. It is good on history, but weak on technical information necessary to properly tune a flintlock. I looked for a more practical book and learned that Flintlocks - A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation by Eric A. Bye was the book to have. A check on Amazon and eBay has that book for ~$144, wow:
https://www.amazon.com/Flintlocks-Practical-Guide-their-Appreciation/dp/0977073645/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=flintlock+book&qid=1552735007&s=gateway&sr=8-1#customerReviews

That's too rich a cost for that book. A little more research found that book for a more reasonable price, ~$30. I ordered one. Ordered from:
https://www.crazycrow.com/muzzleloading-guns-and-gunsmithing/flintlocks-a-practical-guide-for-their-use-and-appreciation

I look forward to getting this book.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »
This is a custom competition gun but there's no reason they can't all be this fast.

Hi Hawg, this is a video of someone shooting the Traditions Trapper:

This handgun has a locktime similar to mine, fast. Too bad those Pedersoli rifles are so slow. I'm thinking hard on getting the Traditions Prairie Hawken in the hope of having a fast locktime rifle:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/TraditionsPrairieHawkenRifle.50CalFlintlockSelectHardwood-1-1.aspx

A fast locktime means good accuracy compared to a slow locktime.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »
Hi, I thought hard,  talked to my wife, and delighted that my wife is giving me the Traditions Prairie Flintlock for Easter.  The rifle:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/TraditionsPrairieHawkenRifle.50CalFlintlockSelectHardwood-1-1.aspx

The kit is ~$100 less, but the idea of another kit leaves me cold.

If this rifle ends up with a slow locktime, it gets wrapped around a light pole.

I'll post some photos when it comes in.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 04:06:56 AM »
Hi, this is the flintlock rifle  ignition speed I am looking for:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
He said he didn't do anything to the lock, just uses French amber flints.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 08:58:42 AM »
Hi, I haven't yet tried French Amber Flints. Sounds like Spanish Fly?  )lI

I have tried a number of cut and knapped English Fints in my Pedersoli rifles:

My Traditions Trapper has fast ignition, the Petersoli rifles are dogs. I have tried different flints, enhances vent holes, different powder position and dogs of Pedersoli just go woof woof bang. One of the Pedersoli's has the vent hole high in the pan, the other low. Both remain dogs.

There isn't anything I can do wrong and not have the Traditions Trapper ignition fast. I did notice that the Trapper has a cutout at the bottom of the flashpan next to the vent liner, see:

The Pedersoli pans go straight to the edge of the barrel. Does the Trapper pan cutout make the difference? I don't know, but may try to dremel a cutout on one of the Pedersoli's after I test the new Traditions Prairie Hawken and see if it also has that pan cutout.

Regards,
Richard

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 01:25:17 PM »
Thank you Richard,

Now I can show my Flintlock, I always thought it was just me.
33 years ago I decided to try a Flinter, purchased a Davide Pedersoli Pennsylvania in .32 cal, with its 42" barrel and rock lock I thought it was going to be lots of fun. I fought it for about 2 years and finally purchased a percussion lock, built a drum and installed a nipple from my Thompson Center Hawken and never looked back. I later wished I'd not used the Thompson nipple, who would have ever thought that they would change them but I did find some Treso's which are exact replacements. The Flintlock has been lying in my desk ever since. I do love shooting this thing.

AntiqueSledMan.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:26:52 PM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 05:34:23 AM »
Hi Antique, that is one sure way to get a fast locktime!  :) :)

I have a couple Thompson Center Hawkens that are percussion, one .45, the other .50. They never fail to fire and have an instantaneous locktime.

There is a charm about flintlocks. The learning curve is steep, but there is a certain sense of accomplishment when becoming a proficient stonelock practitioner. My inability to get a fast locktime from my Pedersoli flintlocks just means that I need to continue on the learning curve.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »
Hi, this guy shoots a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock upside down and the ignition is fast:

Maybe that's my problem, I'm trying to shoot it right side up?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
That was pretty cool. I had no idea a flintlock would even fire upside down. You'd think the priming powder would fall right out.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln